Configure USB redirection for your guest, which allows streaming USB access to your VM, even if it's on a different host!
Initial test day setup (basically a function F18 VM). And a USB device to let your guest access.
How to test
- Shut off your guest. Open the hardware view in virt-manager
- Make sure the guest is configured with spice graphics and qxl video (this is the default if you chose 'Fedora 18' when installing)
- Go to the 'Controller USB' page, change type to 'USB 2', click apply
- Go: Add Hardware->USB Redirection->Spice->Finish
- Start the VM, but close virt-manager
- From the command line, as root, run:
- With virt-viewer, log into the guest so you have graphical desktop access
- In virt-viewer, go to File->USB device selection, and select your USB device
- Verify the device shows up in the guest and is usable
- In virt-viewer, go to File->USB device selection, and unselect your device
- Verify the device is once again usable on the host
No obvious errors occur, USB device is accessible like normal.