QA:Testcase biosdevname NIC naming after install
This test case makes sure that during Rawhide installation, network interfaces, both onboard and PCI add-in are named as per the new convention.
- Make sure that the Hardware Requirements are met.
How to test
- Start the Rawhide instllation by booting into the
- In the welcome screen, press TAB to edit the grub command line and append
repo=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/arch/os/ to get the repository from one of the interfaces. More information about using repo is here
- Just after the initial configurations, when Graphical User Interface comes up, switch to a shell by pressing
- Verify that onboard network interfaces are named as described here
- Verify that PCI add-in network interfaces are described here
- Click on “Configure Network” in the hostname configuration wizard. Here all the interfaces (em#, pci<slot>#<port>) should be displayed. Configure the interface which has network cable connected.
- Complete the installation process, after the system reboots, login to the system.
- Make sure that onboard device names are of the form emN during install time
[root@fedora-14-r710 ~]# ls /sys/class/net/ em1 em2 em3 em4 lo
- Make sure that PCI add-in device names are of the form pci<slot>#<port> during install time
#[root@fedora-14-r710 ~]# ls /sys/class/net/ lo pci3#1 pci3#2 pci4#1
- Make sure ifcfg-emN and ifcfg-pci<slot>#<port> files are created under the dir
/etc/sysconfig/network-scriptsafter the installation is complete.
# cat ifcfg-em3 # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt # for the documentation of these parameters. DEVICE=em3 BOOTPROTO=dhcp TYPE=Ethernet HWADDR=00:24:e8:2e:df:03 ONBOOT=yes USERCTL=no PEERDNS=yes IPV6INIT=no # cat ifcfg-pci3#1 # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt # for the documentation of these parameters. DEVICE='pci3#1' BOOTPROTO=dhcp TYPE=Ethernet HWADDR=00:1b:21:44:63:40 ONBOOT=yes USERCTL=no PEERDNS=yes IPV6INIT=no