Fedora KDE spin
- Last modified: [[Date(2007-03-28T21:53:00Z)]
- Owners: RexDieter, ChitleshGoorah, KDE SIG
- Targeted release: Fedora 7
- According to ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2007-apr-16 believed to be ready for F7 (16-APR-07)
We need a KDE release of Fedora 7.
Hermione is a desktop administrator who wants to install Fedora, using KDE on the 30 desktops he admins for his company.
Karl wants to install a KDE desktop for his home machine without downloading the GNOME packages but cannot do a network installation.
Requires determining a package set, generating a distribution profile, and doing testing.
Test installs of Fedora KDE, as well as the default apps in the way that we would test any Fedora release.
- Create a livecd that is installable
kde* package splitting
The idea here, in general, is to push non-default, overlapping, or less-desirable items into -extras rpms (or rarely, omit altogether), so that the default kde install includes only the best parts. Here's the brainstorm from FUDCon:
- kdebase-extras: ktip, kpersonalizer (aseigo is willing to write a custom version for us if we can provide detailed specs soon), kpager (standalone), kappfinder
- kdegraphics-extras: kiconedit, kpovmodeler, kviewshell (or use poppler 0.7 branch), kghostview (used mainly for print-preview, switch to using kpdf instead), kview/kuickshow, kdvi, kfax/kfaxvifew
- kdemultimedia-extras: kaboodle, noatun, juk
- Done: split spec file - kdenetwork-extras: ksirc, ktalkd, wifi, kpf
- Done: split spec file - kdeutils-extras: kcalc (speedcrunch), kmilo, ksim
Package set (outside of the usual kde* set)
Package list is pretty much stable now.
- Print preview: make pdf output the default, and use kpdf for print preview, see developernew.kde.org/Projects/KDEPrint.
- kontact(kdepim): don't include all plugins by default, only kmail, akregator/feeds, calendar, contacts, mail.
- amarok: configure default location for music (see xdg-user-dirs), load total collection by default
- kpersonalizer replacement? What exactly do we want? kmail, kwallet? Aaron could write one for us.
- akregator(kdenetwork): common feeds setup by default
- xdg-user-dirs integration.
- gtk-qt-engine: provide consistent look-n-feel for gtk apps
- kdm/login (Artwork)
- window decoroation/widget style: plastik
- icon theme: crystalsvg echo tango
- More theming proposals
- RFE: Fedora Metabar theme .
- Unified theme for GNOME and KDE spins? - http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=40492