Fedora Education SIG
General Mission Statement
The project aims to optimize Fedora for use at universities and schools as well as for education usage by schoolers or students. That includes, but is not limited to:
- create and maintain a Fedora Education Spin as CD
- try to get more educational applications included into Fedora
- coordinate the different efforts within the Fedora project
The Fedora Education Spin is the number one goal right now and includes software to use it as a terminal server client. In parallel some SIG members work in integrating K12LTSP into Fedora. Once that work is finished it remains to be seen if we integrate that work into the Fedora Education Spin. Due to space constrains we might choose to start and maintain a second spin as DVD. That could contains more education software and all the K12LTSP packages (including the bits to set up a K12LTSP server).
Plan of Action
Short term plans:
- form this SIG
- get people together in one palace and discuss how to move on. A dedicated Fedora Education List exists already and we'll likely reuse it for this SIG. Maybe an IRC meeting now and then might be a could idea as well.
- get the Fedora Education Spin finished, tested and approved by rel-eng and the board as official spin.
Joining the SIG
Joining the Education SIG is dead simple: Just add your name below and start communicating with the rest of the members (right now we discuss the spin on fedora-devel-list). If you are not yet a Fedora contributor yet you need to become a member of the cla_done group in the Fedora accounts system; that way you'll get access to the wiki.
Here are the some wiki links related to this SIG.
|Educational Apps||list of edu apps|
|Spin Proposal||work in progress|
There are educational projects by other distributions, mainly
- the openSUSE project. Here is the educational page. You might also want to have a look at their wiki .
- They also provide a list of edu apps.
- Ubuntu and their Edubuntu version.
- the GNOME project, which is currently preparing a GNOME Science CD .
- KDE and their kdeedu packages.