Wakeups / Disk IO / Network IO
Goal: Reduce wakeup count of userland applications and unnecessary network and disk IO.
Plan: Audit system using various tools, provide guidance & fixes for problems.
- diskdevstat (tuned-utils)
- netdevstat (tuned-utils)
- Tracker bug for over-eager apps that won't let disks spin down
- Tracker bug for applications waking up a lot
Monitoring / Auditing
Goal: Provide new tools to monitor / audit system usage to help user identify problematic applications, hardware or drivers.
Plan: Ship already existing tools and work on new ones.
Current newest tool is a memory tracing analyser which will allow a very detailed tracking of how an application allocated and deallocated memory over it's lifetime.
Dynamic adaptive tuning
Goal: Monitoring of system resources and adaptive tuning "on-the-fly" of affected components.
- Integration of ktune and tuned: Static vs. dynamic tuning parts + performance vs. power tuning options
- New monitoring and tuning plugin for CPUs (using PM-QOS for CPUs)
- New disk tuning algorithm for a more gradual tuning
- Fix for network tuning in combination with NM (grace period in NM for lost connections and/or mechanism in NM for changing device speeds)
Read only GIT: http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/tuned.git
R/W GIT repo: ssh://git.fedorahosted.org/git/tuned.git
tuned-adm provides various profiles eg. laptop-battery-powersave. These profiles are setting environment values which can reasonably work with resources.
- Offer comprehensive documentation of system tunable with examples and effects
Power consumption of hardware components
- Make overview which component is the biggest power eater
- Focus to these power eaters
Plan: Complete missing data in the HW table. Please, help to fill missing data ...