Scilab is a package that provides a numerical analysis environment. This page provides information specific to the package as well as some of the dependencies that are currently unavailable through yum.
A Scilab RPM has been proposed in Bugzilla (Bug 472639). This has not yet been pushed into RPM testing, and is awaiting several dependencies. Currently owing to dependency constraints, scilab requires f10+ for the online help modules. The Scilab binary has been successfully built (locally) without online help, PVM or Matio.
At time of writing (24th Nov 2008), Scilab utilises several libraries that are currently not available in the fedora repositories. These missing dependencies provide optional, but mostly very desirable functionality to the Scilab package.
To build a functional GUI, the following packages are required, these are not available in fedora repos at this time. These dependencies are listed below.
Package review for Gluegen + Jogl has stalled. Anyone is welcome to assist, however it requires identifying a working combination of jogl and gluegen.
- PVM -- PVM provides distributed computing functionality, this is obviously desirable in a numerical analysis package. PVM libraries are in the fedora repos. The .spec file provided with the scilab review request includes some (commented out) patches for PVM building, however these are incomplete as linker errors are caused during the build process. The patches for PVM are available here.
Scilab 5.2 reached beta status in November 2009, however this has created a large number of new java dependencies that must be packaged to fully implement Scilab functionality
Optional - GUI
- jgraphx - Jgraphx is a graph (edge + vertcies) library for java (Review request)
Optional - functionality
- hdf-java - (http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdf-java-html/index.html) Hdf-java is an HDF reading interface into java, this is optionally required for scilab HDF5 functionality
- FITS - FITS java library. (mycae: I am unclear where the original home project for this is. There appears to be at least some projects here: http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_libraries.html)
- net-cdf-java - (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/) This itself has a many java dependencies, many which are not available. Some may need to be checked for legal concerns. A quick examination of included .jar files in this projects "source" distribution shows the following might be required for packaging:
- casclient-2.1.1.jar 
- commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar (jakarta-commons-fileupload?)
- ehcache-1.6.0-beta3.jar 
- jstl.jar 
- slf4j-jdk14-1.5.6.jar 
- stax-api-1.0.1.jar 
- wstx-lgpl-3.2.5.jar