- Build up a documentation which will be part of the fedora docs landing page (docs.fedoraproject.org)
- Maybe: Additional information to central "System Administrator's Guide" documentation
- Maybe: Additional information to the central "Installation Guide"
Current content for publication
|Installation on SBC||pboy||swefredde||work in progress|
|Server Post installation tasks||pboy||nirik||ready|
|Add Virtualisation Support||pboy||swefredde||"beta"|
|VMs based on Cloud Images||pboy||N.N.||"beta"|
|Communicating and Getting Help||copperi||N.N.||"beta"|
- Check for technical and content accuracy. Contact the author in case of questions.
- Checking spelling and syntax
- Especially in the case of non-English speaking authors refine the wording and phrases
The next steps
- Concretization of the planning. We need
- a rough overall plan of the content
- exemplary topics / themes
- to find contributors / authors
- Set up Working Environment
- Staging Area
- Preparation of publishing pipelines
- Define Milestones
- Most important: minimum requirement for going online
Preliminary planning proposal
Recently I came across an informative article: : "What is good documentation for software projects?" It's not brand new, but it's a good summary of what to look for in a documentation project.
We need skill sets from multiple roles
- Authors/Writers with a deep understanding of the software being described, who create texts, of course
- Information Architects who understands how to structure material
- Reviewers with a deep understanding of the software being described, who ensure technical correctness
- Editor/Reader, especially English native speakers, who proofread the wording and spelling
- Administrator who keeps up the build pipelines and correct web formatting and presentation
- Coordinator, who keeps an eye on the overall plan and helps to align all the processes and people
Notes on the structure of the texts. For example, it would be necessary to regulate:
- Specification of author(s), date of creation, last update, Fedora version with which representations were tested.
- Start with a short summary of the subject matter, objective and desired outcome. (paragraph of 2-3 sentences)
- Divide longer sequences into sections with subheadings and short explanations
- Provide each step with a brief explanation/justification, if possible, a general instruction structure and a concrete example.
Overall Conceptualization of Server Documentation Content
As a first Draft we may discuss (See also: A first draft of a proposal for a concept to improve documentation)
- Navigation Items
- Home / Landing Page Fedora Server Documentation
- Post-installation Procedures / Security Hardening
- Fedora Server Example Use Cases
- Trouble Shooting Guide / Known Issues
- People, policies, and Working Methods
- Details Home / Landing Page
- Details Post Installation
- Details Example Use Cases
- Details Tutorials
- Details People, Policies, ...