The main page for this idea is Summer Coding 2010 ideas - Kronikarz - shortinfo.
Summary of idea: [Initial idea proposed by Alexei Panov] Handy graphical tool for archiving settings of desktop applications. This tool will be useful for users who:
- want to simply backup / restore look-and-feel and settings of desktop applications;
- frequently migrate from one distribution to another;
- have more then one device and want to sync settings.
Notes: Tool can be written to work with plugins (preferrable) or just bunch of configuration files to describe backup / restore / sync methods and enable support for certain application.
- Easy search and select installed applications for backup / restore / sync
- Can work as application or as daemon
- Has scheduler and backup / restore / sync settings (archive type, passwords, compression rate, additive/solid, etc.)
- Custom selection of applications for archiving (one, group, all, etc.)
- Restoring data from archive with tracking of current application, nonexistent on target machine applications should be reinstalled from PackageKit
- Including user selected files in archive for restoring on target machine (possibly searching and automatic including configuration files or files of specified types).