Summer Coding SIG/T-Shirt
Fedora Students Contributing T-Shirt Design
T-SHIRT DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS
|Color of the T-Shirt||Up to you! You can choose white, black, Fedora blue, or any color you want to work with.|
|Number of Colors for Print||1-color screen print.|
|Sides of T-Shirt to design for||You can create a 2-sided (front & back) design if you'd like! Or you can pick one design. It's up to you!|
|Main T-shirt design||It must include the phrase 'Fedora Students Contributing' - Please use the font 'Comfortaa' for this text. (download below)|
|Logos||The Fedora logo should appear somewhere on the shirt. There are also three corporate sponsors whose logos must be placed on the T-shirt. Those sponsors are in order, Red Hat, JBoss.org, and Indifex. I will email all of these logos to the designer who claims this task directly. Please understand these corporate logos are trademarked and need to be treated sensitively, which is why they are not posted on this wiki.|
T-SHIRT FINAL FILE FORMAT SPECIFICATIONS
|Maximum canvas size per side||Your designs should fit within a 12" x 14" canvas, but don't feel obligated to take up this full space. Be creative! You can just do an upper right small chest print logo on the front, or a short design along the bottom, or a small logo aligned to the top of the back shoulders - it's up to you. The 12" x 14" is just the absolute max limit.|
|File Formats||* The final file format for the printer should be PDF. * Please also save and provide your Inkscape SVG file(s) * Please also save and provide your Scribus SLA file(s).|
- Sketch out a few ideas/concepts and email them to the Fedora Design Team list.
- Once you've gotten approval on moving forward with one of your designs from Máirín on the design-team list, import your sketch into Inkscape and import the T-Shirt mockup template file into the same Inkscape file. Start implementing your design in Inkscape. Reminder to followthe design specifications!
- Once you've got a mockup or two or three that you like, email them to the Fedora Design Team list.
- Once you've gotten approval on one of the designs from Máirín, open up the SVG file of your design in Scribus, prep the design for printing using this tutorial. If your T-shirt has two sides, make sure you do this for both sides. Also make sure you set the designs to be the final printing size.
- Email all of your final files (Inkscape SVG(s), Scribus SLA(s), and final PDF(s) to Máirín Duffy. Also tell Máirín your T-shirt size and your postal address!
You will want to use the following software in creating this design:
- Inkscape - Inkscape is a free & open source vector graphics program. You'll want to use Inkscape for the bulk of your design work.
- Scribus - Scribus is a free & open source page layout program. You'll want to use it to convert the Inkscape SVG design you create to a print-ready PDF.
- MyPaint (optional) - MyPaint is great free & open source software for sketching. You may use it for your sketches or you might just want to draw on paper and scan your sketches in.
Mentorship / Help
At any point if you need help, also consider the following two resources:
- Chat: The Fedora Design team IRC channel (#fedora-design at irc.freenode.net)
- Not sure how to use IRC? Get help here.
- Email The Fedora Design team mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org
You'll need to use Comfortaa for the 'Fedora Students Contributing' text.
Fedora Logo & Sponsor Logos Artwork
Máirín Duffy should have emailed you a copy of the logos. If you need another copy, please contact Máirín.
T-Shirt Mockup Template
Please feel free to use this T-shirt template to mockup your T-shirt ideas. It was created by Fedora Design Team member Nicu Buculei. You can open it up in Inkscape.