m (importing notes from FUDcon Toronto 2009)
Latest revision as of 12:08, 6 January 2010
One spin or many?
- Mo: I know what programs the Fedora design team uses a lot, so let's go through the catalog and make a priority order.
- Sebastian: Figure out what they want, and then decide whether to go with a CD or DVD.
- Mo: It would be nice to have content in a design spin - but we don't have a policy for packaging content. Content like gimp brushes, color palettes, fonts... eventually one idea was to have a Fedora Design Studio, which would have one for graphic design, web design, etc.
- Sebastian: Each spin takes a nontrivial amount of maintenance labor, so I was thinking about having a PackageKit thing that would let you pick, on install, what group of packages to pull down.
- Mo: You could install some small base - say GIMP and Inkscape - by default, then if you wanted more than that you could pick a group to install.
- Yaakov: Fedora doesn't distribute content like, say, Project Gutenberg does. But in between that clear no and software as a clear yes there's the gray area like brushes.
- Mo: Diana, do you have a set of core Photoshop brushes do you use?
- Diana: I have a giant set I carry around with me.
- Mo: There's a collection of content specifically for designers, it's called create - it's like yum but for things like GIMP brushes.
Picking a design approach
- Mo: I have a particular approach to design, maybe Diana and I should compare our approaches.
- Mel: Just so you know, I'm hoping for a step-by-step "how to design a spin" guide for people like me who don't know design.
- Mo: Let's talk with Diana and see if we can make a desktop for her, and then go from there.
There's a neat application Diana knows of (proprietary) that can take a screenshot and automatically upload it to flickr. Hack screenshot app to do this?
Can we make a right-click nautilus-action uploader to fedorapeople for those with FAS accounts? You already auth with an ssh key...
Qs for Spot
gimp-plugin naming scheme? package groups as tags: bad idea?