Questions & Answers
Q: LuyaTshimbalanga: What happened to early-login project?
- Ray Strode: early-login was ditched a while ago, though, Jon Nettleton recently started something similiar. See fedora-desktop-list
Q: MartinJürgens: The shutdown experience should also be nice and shiny. Would be nice if this spec would include that.
- Ray Strode: potentially, although I'd like shutdown to just be 'kill all processes that have open files' and cut power
Q: MikePetullo: There is an effort to bring encrypted root filesystems to Fedora. One of the weaknesses of our work so far is that we can't provide an internationalized encryption key prompt very early in the boot process (i.e., in the initrd). Could this better startup feature allow us to do this?
- Ray Strode: Given that encrypted block devices are slated for F9, i think we have to bring this into account. I talked to Jeremy Katz about this last week some. The answer to the i18n problem, may be to use icons instead of text. We could potentially have text, but it means bringing in my libraries, potentially translations, etc
Q: User:jlaska - What is the intended behavior when booting headless systems where the root filesystem is an encrypted block device? Headless systems in this case are often virtual/logical systems with no vga adapter (only a serial-like interface out).
Q: FESCO: As this feature is only 53% completed and there are many packages involved, can we be sure that everything continues to work if we have to back down to rhgb?
Q: User:swarren Should an explicit item be added to the test list for the prompt to fsck file-systems that weren't cleanly unmounted?
- Ray Strode: plymouth should automatically hide (well not automatically hide, rc.sysinit calls plymouth --hide-splash) when the fsck prompt comes up. This wasn't true in the alpha, it should be true in rawhide.
Q: User:jlaska - if graphical kernel-mode-setting boot does not work (falls back to text-mode), should users file bugs against their video adapter? What information should they include to expedite bug filing (lspci -vvv, Xorg.0.log)?
Q: S Jarvis - Is there any plan of integration with KDM or does this require changes upstream in KDE? At present I see a sharp jump from the Plymouth graphic to KDM in contrast to the videos of Plymouth->GDM.
Incomplete Items For Feature Acceptance
Please update the following items and change the category of this page to CategoryProposedFedora10 once they are completed. The feature wrangler's have a watch on this page and will see your changes.
- Please spell out the other dependencies in the dependencies section--"A ton of other dependencies" is unclear:)
- Please complete documentation section
- Please complete release notes section