Feature Wrangler Review
- Please update owner information
- John, why do you think feature ownership should be limited to individuals ?
- I'm fine with having the desktop team being the owners, but we need some kind of e-mail addy, so we can contact feature owners on FESCo meeting invites, summaries, etc. - bpepple
- If FESCo doesn't know how to contact the desktop team, we have a problem...
Pro Arguments for Empathy
- Voice chat with GoogleTalk (though this will probably need us to look at our firewall rules for this to work out of the box) - bpepple
- pidgin-2.6.0 supports this.
- This requires non-free codecs from gstreamer plugins to fully interoperate with GoogleTalk, and you need to manually edit your firewall rules. - warren
- Better GNOME integration the Pidgin - bpepple
- Account migration support from Pidgin has been added to Empathy. Not really a big issue since this feature is for new installs, but still worth pointing out. - bpepple
- Support for Tubes (for AbiWord collaration, etc) - bepple
- Geo Location. Geo location support was just merged in tp-gabble today, and should hopefully make it into Empathy in time for the F12 release. More info: http://blog.pierlux.com/2009/01/22/empathy-where-are-you/en/ - bpepple
Con Arguments for Empathy
- File transfer support currently is only implemented for Link-local XMPP (telepathy-salut) - bpepple
- Works fine for non local XMPP (telepathy-gabble) too in Fedora 11 - Mathieu Bridon 10:53, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
- Missing plugin system, so many of the add-on features available to Pidgin (like encryption, etc) are not available to Empathy - bpepple
- Account dialog still has some issues (like http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=548717), which I'm not sure will be completed before F11 - bpepple
IRC support (telepathy-idle) sorta sucks in Empathy. for example, chat windows don't show what irc-room it's for.- bpepple
- I just tried again, and found that it does show the channel information nowadays. This has been fixed. - mclasen
- Telepathy-haze multi-protocol support has been a bit spotty. We seem to get a fair amount of bug reports about the various protocols (yahoo, etc) not working for folks. - bpepple
- Empathy is useless behind a proxy. Most corporate and university users can't use empathy at all. Pidgin works fine behind proxy.
- MUC/IRC chat support is a joke. Upstream author have been promising for the last two years xchat-gnome-like interface for Telepathy (or straight rewriting of xchat-gnome to use Telepathy instead of xchat-engine which is there now), but it never came to anything. Without it Empathy is quite hard to be a replacement for pidgin.
Misc wish list items
- Support for logging in with GSSAPI/Kerberos with XMPP. Pidgin currently supports this, but I'm not 100% sure this should be considered a block for making Empathy the default IM. Bug #472655 - bpepple