New mkdumprd for kdump
This is a replacement for mkdumprd of kexec-tools, to switch to dracut to generate the initrd for kdump kernel.
- Name: Cong Wang
- Email: <amwang at redhat dot com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 16
- Last updated: 2011-07-11
- Percentage of completion: 10%
- Dump to local filesystem
- Read /etc/kdump.conf to generate initrd
- Dump to remote host via ssh
- Dump to remote host via nfs
- Dump to raw block device
- Implement full functionality of /etc/kdump.conf
- Dump to multiple targets
Currently in kexec-tools we use our own /sbin/mkdumprd to generate an initrd for kdump kernel. However, due to the natural complexity of making a new initrd, we have lots of burdens to maintain the mkdumprd code, we decide to switch to using dracut to generate kdump initrd. And hopefully, we can provide a distro-independent mkdumprd to upstream, as dracut itself is cross-distribution.
Benefit to Fedora
The main source of kexec-tools bugs is in mkdumprd, with this change, hopefully we will reduce the number of bugs of kexec-tools.
All functionality of /sbin/mkdumprd has to be implemented and tested in this new mkdumprd.
How To Test
- Not applicable, because we don't have documentations for this replacement.
Comments and Discussion
- Not applicable, because the main discussion is in Red Hat internal mailing list.