New mkdumprd for kdump
This is a replacement for mkdumprd of kexec-tools, to switch to dracut to generate the initrd for kdump kernel.
- Name: Cong Wang
- Email: <amwang at redhat dot com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 16
- Last updated: 2011-07-11
- Percentage of completion: 10%
- Dump to local filesystem
- Read /etc/kdump.conf to generate initrd
- Dump to remote host via ssh
- Dump to remote host via nfs
- Dump to raw block device
- Implement full functionality of /etc/kdump.conf
- Dump to multiple targets
Currently in kexec-tools we use our own /sbin/mkdumprd to generate an initrd for kdump kernel. However, due to the natural complexity of making a new initrd, we have lots of burdens to maintain the mkdumprd code, we decide to switch to using dracut to generate kdump initrd. And hopefully, we can provide a distro-independent mkdumprd to upstream, as dracut itself is cross-distribution.
Benefit to Fedora
The main source of kexec-tools bugs is in mkdumprd, with this change, hopefully we will reduce the number of bugs of kexec-tools.
All functionality of /sbin/mkdumprd has to be implemented and tested in this new mkdumprd.
How To Test
Users should not notice the replacement, because we plan to provide full backward compatibility.
Fallback to old /sbin/mkdumprd.
- Not applicable, because we don't need to make documentations for this transparent replacement.
Comments and Discussion
- Not applicable, because the main discussion is in a Red Hat internal mailing list.