|2009-08-20||From 12:00 to 21:00 UTC (8am - 5pm EDT, 14:00 - 23:00 CET)||#fedora-qa (webirc)|
What to test?
Today's installment of Fedora Test Day will focus on Automated Bug Reporting Tool (ABRT). This tool should help non-power users with bug reporting, making it as easy as a few mouse clicks. ABRT is a daemon that watches for application crashes. When a crash occurs, it collects the crash data (core file, application's command line etc.) and takes action according to the type of application that crashed and according to the configuration in the abrt.conf configuration file. Bottom line: do not hunt the bugs with a pitchforks, rather use bugzappers/big light source to draw them from the dark and kill them easily at close range.
ABRT should be easy for users and very useful for developers and admins. Ease of crash/bug reporting and quick response from maintainers based on info from ABRT should make Fedora more stable and thus more attractive for users.
The following people will be available for testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion:
- Development - Zdenek Prikryl Jiri Moskovcak
- Quality Assurance - David Pravec, Kamil Páral, James Laska
What's needed to test
- A system with some kind of network connection
- Rawhide (tips on installing Rawhide below), or the live CD available for this test day (again see below).
- Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
How to test?
Update your machine
See the instructions on the Rawhide page on the various ways in which you can install or update to Rawhide. Or:
Optionally, you may download a non-destructive rawhide live image for your architecture. Tips on using a live image are available at FedoraLiveCD.
Follow each of following Category:ABRT_Test_Cases and report your findings in the tables below.
- QA:Testcase_ABRT - default crash report
- QA:Testcase_ABRT_Logger - Logger plugin
- QA:Testcase_ABRT_Mailx - Mailx plugin
- QA:TestCase ABRT BlackList - package blacklist
- QA:Testcase ABRT GPG check --reporting crashes of signed packages only
- QA:TestCase ABRT GPG Keys -- additional keys for signing packages
- QA:Testcase ABRT Actions and Reporters -- testing of action/reporting plugins
- QA:Testcase ABRT Cron -- periodical plugins using cron
- QA:Testcase ABRT Plugins -- configuring plugins
Consult list of active tickets before reporting an issue. The most common issues are listed below:
- Applet (or other icons) in notification area is not visible - that's a known bug in Rawhide, please try to run
killall notification-area-appletand reload it a few times, it may help
- Recreate report for same crash - if you want to recreate a report of same crash, you have to remove ABRT's db and cache (
rm -r /var/cache/abrt/*) and make a crash gain
- Nothing happened? - if it seems to do nothing, try to disable PGP checking and restart daemon
- Graphical warnings - gui writes some gtk warnings
- rpm %requires - it needs rpm >= 4.7.0-1
- Cannot catch OpenOffice, KDE and Java - these applications have a built-in method for capturing failures
- if you're updating from version <= 0.0.5-6 - make sure you remove /var/abrt/cache/abrt-db (we've changed the db fomrat and not yet implemented automatic updating mechanism)
- GUI doesn't inform you about success of failure of a reporting. - But you can find results in ABRT's db (default path /var/cache/abrt, it is sqlite3 db, table name is "abrt")
Issues that were identified
|QA:Testcase_ABRT||User:FasUser||Brief description of the problem||RHBZ #123456|
Things that work alright
|QA:Testcase_ABRT||User:FasUser||Brief description of what was done|