|Fedora Test Days|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on Power Management
The following cast of characters will be available for testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Jaroslav Škarvada (jskarvad) / PowerManagement SIG
- Quality Assurance - Jan Ščotka (jscotka)
Note: jskarvad will be available at least from 10:00 - 22:00 (UTC+2) on #fedora-test-day, #fedora-power, #fedora-devel, otherwise he will be on e-mail with non guaranteed response time.
Prerequisite for Test Day
- PM Test Day LiveCD (md5sum: f470deed996574ab101d75b9eb5bf5c7) or an updated Fedora 16 pre-release or you may get nightly composed LiveCD.
- It is possible to convert the LiveCD into LiveUSB by following the How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB instructions.
- Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
In the following text commands that needs to be run as root are prefixed by #, e.g.:
means to run id command under the root account. Commands prefixed by $ do not need to be run under the root account.
How to test?
It is focused especially on suspend, hibernate, power-consumption, LCD brightness control, tuned profiles. Some test cases are only for laptop users and it is signalled in test case description field. If you do not have laptop just skip them. You can also skip other test cases (e.g. if you do not have enough time). In this case just leave the columns for skipped test cases blank. Please note that your report will be still valuable even if you do not finish all test cases. The procedure:
- Run test cases bellow.
- Report results to the result table.
Prepare your system
- Install the public key (in case you would like to verify the PM Test Day support package, otherwise you can skip this step because the public key will be installed automatically with the PM Test Day support package in the next step):
# rpm --import http://jskarvad.fedorapeople.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-pm-test-day
- Install the PM Test Day support package by:
# yum install http://jskarvad.fedorapeople.org/pm-test-day-repo/pm-test-day-2-1.fc16.noarch.rpm
- This procedure will also install the public key which will be then used for verification of packages from the PM Test Day repo.
Finally make sure you have all current updates (and temporal fixes) installed by:
# yum update
|Testcase||Description||Target||Approx. time required|
|pm-suspend||Tests suspend / resume via pm-utils.||All||2 minutes|
|pm-hibernate||Tests hibernate / resume via pm-utils.||All||5 minutes|
|pm-bugreport||Tests pm-utils bug-reporting functionality.||All||2 minutes|
|pm-powersave||Tests detection of AC / battery (upower functionality) and pm-powersave reactions to power source changes (pm-utils).||Laptops only||2 minutes|
|Lid close||Tests system reaction to lid close.||Laptops only||2 minutes|
|Backlight control||Tests LCD backlight control.||Laptops only||1 minute|
|Tuned basic||Tests tuned-adm (tuned) basic functionality.||All||5 minutes|
|Tuned disabled idle||Measures power consumption of machine in active idle with tuned disabled.||Laptops only||15 minutes|
|Tuned powersave idle||Measures power consumption of machine in active idle with tuned laptop-battery-powersave profile.||Laptops only||15 minutes|
Known Bugs / Workarounds
The following are the known bugs and workarounds. You do not need to report them, because the problems are known and most fixes are already in updates-testing repo.
- upower < 0.9.13-1 has unresolved symbol (g_unix_signal_add_watch_full) due to glib API change and doesn't start which cause fail of the pm-powersave test case. Upgrade to upower-0.9.13-1 (from pm-test-day repo) or newer by:
# yum update upower
- Then logout/login or start upower by hand:
- If you are using the latest LiveCD / USB (20110928 or newer) this workaround have been already installed for you.
- If the OSD in test case pm-powersave is not shown, patch the pmtd-osd by following command:
# echo 'echo "$STR" >> /tmp/pmtd-osd.log' >> /usr/bin/pmtd-osd
- and than read the OSD messages from /tmp/pmtd-osd.log
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to Bugzilla usually for the component pm-utils, or tuned. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you. Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line. bugreport.txt will be generated by test case pm-bugreport, instructions for uploading are included in this test case. The bugreport.txt gives us valuable information about your HW / SW configuration and debug log of your last suspend / hibernate process. If you ran the tuned profile tests, please write the results to the second table.
|pm-suspend||pm-hibernate||pm-bugreport||pm-powersave||Lid close||Backlight control||Tuned basic||Tuned disabled idle||Tuned powersave idle||References|
|Sample User||Sample Machine||E:4800 mWh||E:4710 mWh|
|Jaroslav Škarvada||Lenovo T500||E:4330 mWh||E:3920 mWh|
|Paolo Bonzini||Lenovo T500, wireless off||E:5240 mWh||E:4870 mWh|
|Jan Kaluza||HP Pavilion dv6, wireless off||E:960 mAh||E:960 mAh|
|Branislav Nater||Lenovo ThinkPad X201||E: mWh||E: mWh|
|Honza Horak||Lenovo ThinkPad T510|
|Jan Vcelak||Dell E6510|