Test Day:2012-04-19 liveusb-tools
|Fedora Test Days|
|Mail • Subscribe • Archives|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on liveusb-tools and creating a live usb image via liveusb-tools on fedora 17 and windows liveusb-creator.
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
Prerequisite for Test Day
List any prerequisite needs for the test event. A fresh system, virtualized guest, a blank DVD ... a desire to break software?
- [A copy of the http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/17-Beta/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso Fedora 17 pre-release x64 DVD http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/17-Beta/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-17-Beta-i386-DVD.iso i686] with all updates from
- Usb key
- DVD ISO image of latest Fedora 17 beta
- Free space on HD
- (optional) Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
- (optional) Beer (if you're adult)
Update your machine
If you're running Fedora 17, make sure you have all the current updates for it installed, using the update manager or yum.
How to test?
Graphical Method - Windows only. For flashing from Fedora please use the terminal for now.
Fedora LiveUSB sticks can be created in Windows (for this test) located at liveusb-creator.
For Windows using the following steps:
- Download liveusb-creator from http://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator
- Double click 'liveusb-creator'
- Point to ISO image
- Choose Fedora 16 and x86_64 or i686 and the type of desktop you want.
If you are using Fedora open a terminal and run the following commands:
$ su -c "yum install liveusb-creator"
Flash the DVD ISO image to the live USB stick by running the following command:
$ livecd-iso-to-disk --format --msdos --reset-mbr <path to is> /dev/sdb #(the attachment point of the device)
To start the flash process:
After flash run the this command:
$ livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr <path to iso> /dev/sdb #(the attachment point of the *device*)
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to Bugzilla for liveusb-tools. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you. Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line.
|User||Smolt Profile||Flash USB with DVD ISO 64/32bit in Fedora||Boot from USB drive flashed in Fedora||Flash USB drive with DVD ISO 64/32bit in Windows||Boot off USB drive flashed drive in Windows||References|
|vicodan||[Windows 7 x64 system and Virtualbox VM]||