|Fedora Badges earned (137)|
By FAR, the best way to reach me is by pinging me on IRC or dropping me a PM (relrod on freenode). Please try to contact me there before resorting to other methods.
I live in Youngstown, OH, USA, and am a recent graduate of Youngstown State University where I majored in computer science and mathematics, and minored in linguistics. I have a very strong interest in Programming Language Theory (PLT) and the connection between mathematics and programming by way of things like category theory, type theory, and the Curry-Howard correspondence. To that end, I have a very strong opinions on the state of the software industry and the need for formal verification in our industry as software continues to grow more fragile and complex.
I am a Red Hat Certified Engineer as of June 2019.
What I do within Fedora (current-ish)
I am on the Community Platform Engineering team at Red Hat. Day-to-day, I spend most of my time on the infrastructure team, ensuring that the Project's servers are up and running, safe and secure, and up to date. However, I also spend time working on Fedora's websites portfolio, including co-leading the rework of getfedora.org that took place in mid 2019. I hold a seat on the Fedora Mindshare committee where I represent the Websites and Design teams. I maintain a fair number of packages, mostly random things that I find useful.
Timeline of my Fedora history
- (June 2010) - Sent intro email to email@example.com, started helping out wherever I could.
- (January 2011) - Got funded to go to FUDCon:Tempe_2011. (Thank you, Fedora!)
- (February 2011) - Was asked about and gladly accepted entrance into sysadmin-main, the core sysadmin group for the Fedora Project.
- (June 2011) - Won the Fedora Scholarship. (Thank you, Fedora!)
- (November 2011) - Started administrating the Fedora Scholarship since the previous winner has the opportunity to run the next year's scholarship.
- (February 2012) - Became an intern at Red Hat (Fedora Engineering Intern).
- May 2017 - Transitioned to full-time member of the Community Platform Engineering team as "Associate Software Engineer"
- June 2019 - Promotion to "Software Engineer"
- June 2019 - Obtained RHCE certification.
What I do outside of Fedora (in FOSS)
- I work on a lot of small FOSS projects that I started (see my GitHub page linked above).
- I love learning about programming paradigms, particularly Functional Programming.
- Along with that, I love learning the math behind it. Type theory and category theory are enjoyable. Provable correctness is amazing. :)
- In fact Programming Language Theory in general is amazing. :)
- I maintain a small number of Ruby Gems, but this is about all I do with Ruby nowadays.
- I maintain some Haskell packages on Hackage.
- I created http://da.gd/ and am currently rewriting it in Haskell.
Non-software things that I do
- I am a founder of the Northeast Ohio Experimenters Club, a small ham radio club among friends, in Ohio, USA.
- I was a founder of The SYN/HAK Hackerspace in Akron, Ohio, USA.
- I enjoy photography - I shoot Pentax.
- I enjoy astronomy and should learn more about it one day.
- I'm an extra class amateur radio operator (N8SQL) and ARRL and Laurel VE.
- I play drums (but only as a hobby).
- I play guitar (also only as a hobby).
- I play piano (you get the idea at this point).
- I swing dance.