User:Ianweller/FUDConF11 State of the Wiki presentation
State of the Wiki
Ian Weller <email@example.com>
FUDCon F11, Sat Jan 10 2009
How's MediaWiki going?
- Recently upgraded to the latest stable upstream version
- The wiki is much spunkier than MoinMoin
Yet, we have problems
- Search still sucks
- Organization is somewhat haphazard, at best
- People don't realize that the wiki is the best place for documentation
Explaining the first two...
- They're directly related
- When we finish the transition to the new naming standard, the search will work as it was built
- To do this, we must flatten the page levels, and create new, more intricate levels using categories
Explaining the third...
- Karsten has said that people aren't publishing their documentation on our wiki because the documentation for writing documentation is poor
- We're working on it
- In the mean time:
- Be bold in your editing -- do things as you see fit
- If there isn't a rule, default to Wikipedia's rules
- Categorize it properly -- if a category doesn't exist for your document, make one!
A good example to start with
- Fonts SIG
- Everything is categorized
- Every page name is flat
- Fully searchable
What needs to be done?
- For the Docs Project:
- Finish moving existing pages
- Educate the community more about the availability of the wiki
- For current wiki contributors:
- Help the Docs Project with the reorganization of your sub-project's pages
- If a page is hard to follow, give it some wikilove
- Be bold
- If you need help, just let us know
Q & A
woo questions woo