The Design Suite is a (project in progress) Fedora Spin targeted towards professional designers, specifically the Fedora Design Team.
- target 1: showcase of design team work (perhaps customise the looks of the spin, add more wallpapers)
- target 2: typesetting -- featuring font-manager and Inkscape
- target 3: general art/design work -- featuring Gimp, Inkscape, color profiles and brushes
- target 4: media editing -- featuring PiTiVi for video editing, Audacity for sound editing, Blender for 3D modeling software and Darktable for photographer
- target 5: desktop publishing -- featuring LibreOffice + templates and Scribus
How to contribute
- #Download the current version and test it (at this point, you may want to do so in a VM (virtual machine)). Send feedback to the design-team mailing list.
- Help us fill in our list of #Packages - what would you like to see on a Design Studio Spin and why?
Here is the Fedora 20 schedule for Design team
This section needs to be filled out.
What are the design concepts we've agreed on for this? Possible examples include:
- select 'best of breed' apps vs "include as much as possible"
- restrict to graphics vs also go for audio/video
- include data vs not including data
- Based on: Gnome 3.10
- Size: 2GB USB stick or DVD
To suggest a package we should include, add it to the #Under consideration table.
- What do we do with brushes?
- Will we get our own spin design?
- Which gimp plugins do we include?
- What about a comps group for the spin?
- What makes it into a bookmarks package?
- Will we get great inkscape tutorials packaged ?
These are packages that have been chosen for inclusion in this release. They may still need packaging help.
|fontforge||packaged||*the* editor for font files|
|GREYCstoration-gimp||packaged||small one; user request|
|ImageMagick||packaged||*the* tool for batch-processing images|
|synfig||packaged (#479527)||initial selection|
|evince||packaged||pdf files - part of Gnome Desktop|
|audio & video||group|
|audacity||packaged||jockosher upstream is dead|
These are packages that were suggested but turned down for this release due to size, code maturity, or other reasons.
|name of package||Why we're not including it|
|gthumb||replaced by shotwell|
|koffice-krita||pulls a lot of kde stuff in|
|gnash||possibly not mature enough|
|gwibber||pulls in couchdb and erlang|
|tracker-search-tool||it's a live media|
|vino||we don't really need a vnc server|
|vinagre||same goes for a vnc client|
|openclipart||this is way too big|
|fyre||had issues adding it to the package set; reconsider at a later date|
|alchemy||feature set duplicates that of other/better applications already included|
|nathive||feature set too small. pinta is better suited|
Packages we have not yet made a decision on. If you'd like to suggest something for inclusion in the Design Studio, add it to the table below.
|mw||not packaged||makes VCS access to MediaWiki easier||Sebastian Dziallas|
|phatch||not packaged||Easily batch process images and edit metadata||loboorgen|
|openshot||not packaged||Create and edit videos and movies||loboorgen|
|screenruler||not packaged||Screen Ruler||loboorgen|
|cellwriter||already packaged||Handwriting Recognition for TabletPCs||rjt|
|add yours here||packaged or not||why should we include it||your name|
Some places to get ideas from:
- Should we be including fonts? Which ones?
- For an older list of packages we may want to consider for the final F13 build, see the (several releases out-of-date) Fedora Art Studio Package Manifest
- Should we include clip art from [openclipart.org, [http://www.wpclipart.com/, or other sources? Also see the old Fedora Art Studio Clipart Selection and Planning Page.
- Potential source of ideas: http://lifehacker.com/software/creative-commons/geek-to-live-6-ways-to-find-reusable-media-197538.php
- File:Artwork ArtTeamProjects FedoraArtStudio artstudio-ks-oct 6 2007.cfg - Old kickstart file from October 2007
- What should the default search be? http://www.iconfinder.net, http://search.creativecommons.org/, and http://www.yotophoto.com all seem like options.
- Do we want to link (perhaps in a default bookmarks selection) to directories/libraries of artistic works created using open source software, or artistic works that are open-licensed?
- Do we want to include (via bookmarks, on a webpage, as packages, etc) tutorials for the applications we are shipping?
- How about color profiles?
- Patterns and textures?
- Older versions of this page have some ideas and lots of links as well.