Change Proposal Name
Autoconf 2.69 -> 2.71 upgrade
Upgrading autoconf from version 2.69 to the last upstream version 2.71.
- Name: Ondrej Dubaj
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: f35
- Last updated: 2021-02-05
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Upgrading autoconf from version 2.69 to version 2.71 according to new upstream release. Version 2.70 is skipped due to multiple ABI incompatibilities, where some of them were fixed in version 2.71. Years of development differ these two releases, so problems are expected.
Benefit to Fedora
Brings a stable and up-to-date version of autoconf according to upsteam release. It is expected, that in the future many upstream development teams will use autoconf-2.71 as their default builder, so we should be prepared for such a step.
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers:
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
Affects hundreds of packages.
Problems with building 3rd partly software might occur when upgrading to newer version of fedora, where autoconf-2.71 is present.
How To Test
Rebuilding your packages with autoconf-2.71 dependency. For testing, copr can be used https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/odubaj/autoconf-2.70/packages/
Users will be able to use the newer version (2.71) of autoconf, and building packages with autoconf-2.69 won't be available, as it won't be present on the specific fedora version.
Hundreds of packages have build dependency on autoconf, therefore it is a huge step forward for fedora, what should be properly discussed and tested. Autoconf upgrade deadline depends on dependent packages, as if multiple packages are not able to be buit with autoconf-2.71, we cannot proceed with this upgrade. There are also problems with some upstream projects, which require autoconf-2.69 for their build. It is needed to discussed the possible upgrade olso on their side
- Contingency mechanism: moving this issue to f36, if not successfuly finished in f35
- Contingency deadline: f35 mass rebuild
- Blocks release? No
N/A (not a System Wide Change)