|IRC channels:||#fedora-nl, #fedora|
I am a postdoctoral fellow working at the Dutch Institute for Radio Astronomy (ASTRON) and the Kapteyn Astronomical Institute of the University Groningen in the Netherlands. My research focuses on the first objects in the Universe. To detect them a large array of small dipole antennas is constructed by a consortium in which several EU countries participate. What makes this radio telescope unique is that the signals of all the antennas are correlated and processes use FOSS software, a large fraction of which was developed by our group and released to the community. I am particularly interested in supercomputing and follow the developments.
My experience with FOSS begins in 1996 when I first installed Slackware on my desktop. After some distro-hopping I concluded that Fedora is the distro to use for both ideological(freedom!) and practical reasons (bleeding edge).
- Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlnads
- Time Zone: GMT +02:00
- Languages: Dutch, English, French, Greek.
- Higer Education:
- BSC University of Athens, Greece.
- PhD University of Groningen - The Netherlands.
- Attend FOSDEM
- Attend SC13
Goals in Fedora:
- Help with the distribution of media and installation for new users
- Provide support to new/older users
- Ensure that Fedora provides the tools and libraries that scientific developers need.
- Report the bugs I encounter in order to to improve Fedora.