|Line 39:||Line 39:|
Revision as of 11:42, 2 August 2009
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Fedora Project. Thanks for your time and energy that you are going to dedicate for Fedora.
Secondly, I shall be mentoring you for next one month or so, so that your entry into the project become smooth. It is not difficult and given the right enthusiasm and hard work you will be in the ambassadors group.
But remember, you need to work *hard*. Also, you will have to clear an IRC interview and accomplish a small task (other than evangelism) before you are granted entry. Please be prepared to hear "no" if you are not upto the mark.
Also, please work with your local Ambassadors whom I shall invite in the Interview and ask for their feedback before approving you. It is your duty to contact them and find out how you can contribute locally. You shall find them here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService/Verification.
Your one month period starts from today. Any communication in this regard will be by replying this mail keeping the cc list intact. You can not ask for more time after the end of this period, you have to apply again.
Right now, your primary works are as follows. All steps are mandatory. All questions are welcome. You can always ask, but please don't say "I can't find this page, where is it?" Most of the things below are from wiki.
- Be familiar with principles and philosophy of FOSS. A few suggested readings are:
- Please let me know your Fedora Account name, create your home page *properly* (clue: there is a home page template somewhere in the wiki), and let me know the link.
- Find out and join your regional mailing list. For example, if you are from India, join fedora-india mailing list.
- Get a blog and get it aggregated into planet fedora. (This is very important. Find out how you can do it.)
- You should be *very* comfortable with the mailing list etiquette and the IRC.
- Study the Fedora Project wiki properly. You should be comfortable with the wiki. Specially study this page and all the links from it.
- As an ambassador, you should be comfortable with how to organise an event, what are the messages of fedora and how to behave as an ambassador.
- Find out any other sub-project (fedora-doc, fedora-art etc.) where you want to contribute. If you are from India, this is *mandatory*.
- Find out at least two specific things where you think Fedora can improve and suggest improvements. (This is also very important.)
- As an ambassador, you will work with others and will find several bugs. You need to report them. Read about how to file a bug and open a bugzilla account.
- The above task list is not complete. You may be assigned more tasks.
- Once you are done with the steps and feel comfortable, you will have to clear an irc interview.
- If you have any question, please ask.