Present guide is targeted for small mailserver, serving domain with few clients.
Normally mailserver will consist of several components:
- MTA, message transport agent. This is the core of the mailserver, taking mail from clients and relaying/delivering towards destination host.
- MDA, message delivery agent, responsible for placing arrived mail into proper mailbox, according to rules.
- MUA mail user agent, end user's interface for working with mailbox, reading and composing, submitting mail to MTA
- Spam tools, identifying spam
- email security
- selfsigned OpenSSL certificates
If you are behind the Self:NAT enabled Self:router the proper Self:portforwarding is also needed