Updates After End of Life project
This is a draft explaining a possible plan for a project hosted by the Fedora project, but distinct (that is Fedora provides infrastructure, but isn't supporting the project). The aim is to have a volunteer based set of packages updated. There is a minimal set, corresponding with non optional packages from Base+Comp and the kernel, when one of this package isn't maintained anymore, the branch is discontinued after a week that can be used find a new maintainer.
Branches are not created automatically a maintainer has to step up.
The maximum time for a branch will be set by those who take care of the infrastructure with a maximum of 5 years.
The front page would be along DraftPageUAEL .
- add a wiki page with the list the packages in a Base + Core install and let people add their name if they are ready to maintain that package. A packager ready to maintain such a package should at least be approved in the package database as watchcommit and watchbugzilla for this packages for branches that are more recent than the branch he intends to maintain.
- start a SIG (with, at least all the maintainers of the above packages) and a mailing list
- discuss with releng the infrastructure bits (use the same directory than releases in cvs?...), find somebody to do the bohdi pushes
- begin to ask for branches in cvs (based on the process discussed above)
- do a script to generate the list of packages (I can volunteer for that)