QGnomePlatform is a Qt Platform Theme aimed to accomodate as much of GNOME settings as possible and utilize them in Qt applications without modifying them - making them fit into the environment as well as possible.
- Product: Workstation
- Responsible WG: Workstation Working Group
The goal of this project is to make KDE/Qt applications as seamlessly integrated in GNOME (and thus Fedora Workstation) as possible by synchronizing KDE/Qt settings with GNOME/GTK settings. We already have the Adwaita theme ported to Qt, but the way themes are set in Qt has changed with the version 5, so currently only Qt4 apps pick up the Adwaita theme in Fedora Workstation. QGnomePlatform should solve it for Qt5 apps, too. But the scope of the project is larger, it should also cover other UI settings. For Fedora 24, we're planning to cover the theme, font settings, window scaling on HiDPI monitors. In the future, we'd like to cover more things such as font scaling.
Benefit to Fedora
There are many users that use both Qt applications in Fedora Workstation. By default, their interface settings are not very consistent, compared to GTK ones. And if you want to change something and apply that change in both GTK and Qt apps, you need to do it in two different places. This will no longer be necessary with QGnomePlatform. Fedora Workstation will integrate Qt and GTK apps better than anyone else out there.
- Proposal owners:
will have to implement all the promised features, package it, and have it included in Fedora Workstation.
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
This component is not part of the current release. After upgrading to Fedora 24, users will have to manually install the package or we need to have some mechanism how to pull the package in.
How To Test
Test of theme adoption:
0. Make sure you run Fedora Workstation (GNOME) and have xyz package installed 1. Install any Qt4 app (e.g. Kmail) and any Qt5 app (e.g. Kcalc) 2. Run the application and observe the look 3. The look and feel should be similar to GTK apps with Adwaita theme. The frameworks are different with different UI elements, so the look and feel will never be the same, but should be fairly similar.
Test of font config:
0. Make sure you run Fedora Workstation (GNOME) and have xyz package installed 1. Install GNOME Tweak Tool 2. Install any Qt4 app (e.g. Kmail) and any Qt5 app (e.g. Kcalc) 3. Make changes in font settings (font family, size) and check if the font actually changes in Qt4 and Qt5 apps (you may need to restart the apps for the changes to take effect) 4. The expected result is that Qt4 and Qt5 apps reflect changes in GNOME font settings.
Test of scaling:
0. Make sure you run Fedora Workstation (GNOME) and have xyz package installed 1. Install GNOME Tweak Tool 2. Install any Qt4 app (e.g. Kmail) and any Qt5 app (e.g. Kcalc) 3. Go to the Windows section in GNOME Tweak Tool and change window scaling to 2. 4. Windows of Qt apps should also be scaled by 2.
See the description and tests above.
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency mechanism: if this change is not finished on time, it can be postponed till the next release without affecting anything. Things will just stay as they're now.
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No