(Redirected from Communicate/IRC/Fedora-EOL-Support)
Support For Fedora Releases
What does "support" mean?
When we talk about "support" for a Fedora release, we don't mean paid support with any kind of guarentee. Instead, we mean things like:
- Assisting end users with questions on channels like #fedora on irc.freenode.net.
- Package maintainers responding to bugs on bugzilla.redhat.com.
- Package maintainers building and testing security updates for packages.
- Package maintainers building and testing other package updates.
- Mirrors providing packages and updates.
- Fedora infrastructure supporting build systems and package source and build tools.
- Assisting end users with questions on the fedora mailing list.
What does it mean that a Fedora Release is "End of Life"?
- None of the above items are provided anymore for that release.
- Users of End of Life releases are urged to upgrade to a release that is still supported.
- Community IRC support is available for EOL versions in #Fedora-EOL on freenode.
Q & A
- Q: My current Fedora install is working fine, why should I upgrade?
- A: If you need any of the above items. Especially security updates if you install is connected to the internet at all.
- Q: My Fedora install is remotely hosted at a virtual server provider, so I can't upgrade it.
- A: Please address your concerns to your hosting provider. They should allow you to upgrade to a supported release.
- Q: I don't want all of the above, just a quick Answer or Security Update or bug fixed or newer package update on my End of Life release.
- A: Sorry, fedora is a fast moving distribution. Please upgrade to a supported release. Some questions may be answered in #Fedora-EOL on Freenode.
- Q: I don't want to keep upgrading all the time.
- A: Take a look at RedHat Enterprise Linux , CentOS , or some other distribution that has a longer and slower release cycle.