- 1 Fedora Education
- 1.1 Summary
- 1.2 Past Releases
- 1.3 Owner(s)
- 1.4 Detailed Description
- 1.5 Benefit to Fedora
- 1.6 Kickstart File
- 1.7 ISO Name / FS Label
- 1.8 Dependencies
- 1.9 Scope / Testing
- 1.10 Spins Page
- 1.11 Comments and Discussion
The purpose of this spin is to create a ready-to-go development environment for contributing to educational projects inside, but also outside of the Fedora ecosystem.
- Name: SebastianDziallas
- email: sdz AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Name: Education SIG
- email: fedora-education-list AT redhat DOT com
Benefit to Fedora
This effort helps to increase Fedora's visibility in the educational sector (among the already existing communities like K12OSN, OLPC and Sugar), as we are going to release a spin, which allows students, as well as educators and teachers to use the advantages of open source software not only in classrooms or at work, but also at home.
- Development: https://fedorahosted.org/education/browser/kickstarts/livedvd-education.ks
- Release: https://fedorahosted.org/spin-kickstarts/browser/fedora-livecd-education.ks
ISO Name / FS Label
For packages requiring review, please see the Education Tracker.
Scope / Testing
List of included apps:
- both the GNOME desktop environment and the Sugar Platform, as seen on the OLPC
- a modified selection of default bookmarks and channels in Firefox and XChat
- a number of educational packages, such as KDE Education, Octave or Gnuplot
- general development tools like gcc, make, autoconf
- the Eclipse environment with support for Python, RPM, LaTeX and Documentation
- usually required applications like OpenOffice.org, Gimp and Inkscape
- a Moodle instance to showcase an open source learning management system
- virtualization support to test projects in sandboxes
For more detailed information, please refer to the kickstart file itself!
Contributing to open source education projects. Made easy.
Have you ever wanted to contribute - or get others to contribute - to an open source education project, but never found the time to set up and get started? We've got a ready-to-go contributors' (not just code!) environment for you!
Providing students and teachers with a variety of development environments, tools, documentation, and getting-started resources, the Fedora Education SIG achieves its goal of lowering the entry barrier to contributing as much as possible.
The Education Spin features a number of well-received solutions, such as the award-winning Sugar Desktop Environment - as seen on the OLPC and Sugar on a Stick - and the popular KDE Education applications. It also contains a complete Eclipse development stack and other tools, allowing not only an exploration, but also the creation of code.
no change needed - sticking with the default here
Following the goal of making it as easy as possible for students and teachers to dive into open source projects, the Fedora Education Spin comes with a variety of support options.
You can always reach us on IRC in #fedora-edu on Freenode, where you will be automatically connected to when using the included XChat application. Additionally, we encourage you to check the channels of other projects, especially the Sugar Labs (#sugar) and Teaching Open Source (#teachingopensource) ones.
In case you prefer sending an e-mail, you can direct thoughts and feedback at the Fedora Education Mailing List.