Perform a series of various changes to improve developer experience on Fedora.
- Name: Jan Zelený
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Name: Marcela Mašláňová
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
(Please add yourself if you are responsible for some part of it).
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-01-23
- Percentage of completion: 2%
This feature aims on setting up development environment for various languages. Target groups include beginning developers but also experienced developers not used to GNU/Linux as well as experienced Linux developers not used to Fedora.
This feature will cover a basic set of tasks which will prepare Fedora for later additions. The first part of the feature is a review of comps groups which would lead to better granularity of package sets necessary for development in different languages. Another part is about providing tool or tools for simple start of a project in terms of creating project template based on different languages and/or frameworks which the project should use.
There are other optional activities like vim/eclipse/emacs/... plugins, integration of rpm build tools, .... These optional parts are not goal for F19 but they will be integrated in time.
Assistants can be written either as YAML configuration files or as python module.
- C/C++ (phracek FedoraProjectWiki)
- create YAML configuration file
- sample C/C++ files
- rpm dependencies
- compilation over autotools
- spec file for creating RPM package
- Ruby (vondruch)
- Python (bkabrda)
- Perl (mmaslano)
- PHP (rcollet)
- Java (msrb)
- vim (phracek)
- eclipse (phracek)
- integrate project into eclipse environment
- test basic eclipse functionality like compilation, debugging, etc.
- rpm build tools
- each assistant should have one spec file for building RPM package
- create sample subroutine in YAML configuration file which can be used by each language
- git integration
- create local repository
- call git commands from configuration script (YAML)
- registration project on GitHub repository
- downloading project from GitHub repository
Benefit to Fedora
Make the development on Fedora easier for beginners.
- Adding new (leaf) packages, which will contain setup scripts.
- Comps: a review of existing development-related package groups will take place
- cleanup of some groups will be necessary
- new groups might be created to meet the demand for per-language tool and library sets
How To Test
Try to install package containing setup for your favourite language.
Entry barrier for development on Linux should be lower. Inexperienced users will be able to setup their development faster.
None at the moment, none expected. We intend to build on top of current state of Fedora.
Do not ship the result if not ready. Since the feature is not required for anything else in the system, there will be no complications if not shipped. Changes in comps groups will be consulted before pushed and if necessary, changes can be simply reverted.
Blog posts will be released to make some publicity. Man pages will be primary source of documentation for the functionality. The documentation will be developed along with the functionality.
Developers Assistant feature will provide packages containing skeletons, settings, which will provide help to developers. Also new or improved yum groups are part of this feature.