New upstart upstream release with a lot of new features.
- Name: Petr Lautrbach
- email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Name: Casey Dahlin
- email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 26
- Last updated: 2009-07-13
- Percentage of completion: 01%
Upstart is an event-based replacement for the /sbin/init daemon which handles starting of tasks and services during boot, stopping them during shutdown and supervising them while the system is running.
- Tasks and Services are started and stopped by events;
- Events are generated as tasks and services are started and stopped;
- Events may be received from any other process on the system;
- Services may be respawned if they die unexpectedly;
- Supervision and respawning of daemons which separate from their parent process;
- Communication with the init daemon over D-Bus.
Benefit to Fedora
The latest upstream Upstart version is 0.6.0 and upstream is pushing to have all the major distros move to the 0.6 series. The new release fixes a lot of bugs, strengthens some of the code patterns against future bugs, and introduces a job format that will continue to be supported through 1.0.
How To Test
- Bring each upstart job up and down and verify that the job is started and cleaned up correctly and that initctl list reflects its state.
- Move from runlevel s to 1, 3, and 5 and back again and verify that the system ends up in the correct state each time.
- Re-exec init and verify that jobs that were running stay running according to initctl list.
- dbus >= 1.2.15 - needed patch pending in git HEAD branch, waiting for release 1.2.16. Temporarily accessible via http://plautrba.fedorapeople.org/dbus
- init: transfer state across re-exec - https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/348455
- initscripts: changes to support new job format. Also move job definitions to new location.