Archive:PackagingDrafts/Font package naming (2008-12-22)
The only actual novelty is the use of foundry names, that some packagers have added by themselves in the past (and thus the naming of our current packages is not consistent). Since other distributions also use foundry names, it has been decided in list and irc discussions that making every font package use them was cleaner than asking their removal in the packages that used them.
Renaming of existing packages that fail this stricter rule will wait for the corresponding policy to be finalised. In the meanwhile getting new package named consistently is a net win.
- Fedora font source packages (src.rpm) are named foundryname-fontprojectname-fonts.
- Their eventual non-utility subpackages (nosrc.rpm) are named foundryname-fontprojectname-fonts-fontfamilyname.
- Font package naming uses the lowercase form.
- For Fedora purposes a “foundry” is an entity that publishes a set of fonts with consistent font QA rules. Thus a generic hosting service such as Sourceforge is not a foundry, but the Open Font Library is.
- It is good practice to contract foundryname in a short prefix.
- When foundryname-fontprojectname or fontfamilyname contain the font or fonts affix, it should be skipped to avoid foofont-fonts packages.
- When fontprojectname includes foundryname, it is not necessary to repeat it.
- When fontfamilyname includes fontprojectname or foundryname, it is not necessary to repeat them.
- The use of the fonts suffix is not dependant on the actual number of font files in the package.
When in doubt, ask the mailing list for clarification.
|Source packages (src.rpm)|
|apanov-heuristica-fonts-20081109-3.fc11.src.rpm||“Heuristica” font published by Andrey Panov, “apanov”|
|dejavu-fonts-2.27-7.fc11.src.rpm||“DejaVu” fonts of the “DejaVu” project foundry|
|gfs-didot-classic-fonts-20080702-4.fc11.src.rpm||“Didot Classic” font of the Greek Font Society, “gfs”, foundry|
|google-droid-fonts-1.0.112-1.fc11.src.rpm||“Droid” fonts published by “Google”|
|un-core-fonts-1.0.2-0.6.080608.fc10.src.rpm||“UN Core” fonts of the “UN” project|
|Binary packages (noarch.rpm)|
|apanov-heuristica-fonts-20081109-3.fc11.noarch.rpm||“Heuristica” font published by Andrey Panov|
|dejavu-fonts-lgc-sans-mono-2.27-7.fc11.noarch.rpm||“DejaVu LGC Sans Mono” font of the “DejaVu” project, as part of the “DejaVu” release (subpackage)|
|gfs-didot-classic-fonts-20080702-4.fc11.noarch.rpm||“Didot Classic” font of the Greek Font Society|
|google-droid-fonts-serif-1.0.112-1.fc11.noarch.rpm||“Droid Serif” font published by “Google”, as part of its “Droid” release (subpackage)|
|un-core-fonts-pilgi-1.0.2-0.6.080608.fc10.noarch.rpm||“Pilgi” font published by the “UN” project, as part of its “UN Core” release (subpackage)|