- 1 Fedora DNA Theme
Fedora DNA Theme
GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader)
Specifications: Dimensions: 640x480, 14 colors (source ).
RHGB (Red Hat Graphical Boot)
GDM (Gnome Display Manager)
Basically, the login screen. Specifications: Supports full-color palette, can be any size you want (is created using an HTML-like markup.)
- Please consider users with lower screen resolutions when designing this. Try to make a layout that can be made 'liquid'
- Also consider international users when laying out the position of text on the screen - designs that allow text plenty of space to shrink and grow are preferred.
- Also! Consider widescreen monitor users.
Hints & Tricks
- Testing GDM themes for a widescreen monitor when you don't have a widescreen monitor:
- Type the following in a terminal:
- EXPORT DOING_GDM_DEVELOPMENT = 1
- Xnest -ac -geometry 1680x525 :123 &
- DISPLAY=:123 /usr/bin/gdmgreeter (for RHEL)
- DISPLAY=:123 /usr/libexec/gdmgreeter (for Fedora)
- Below is unfinished ***
Anaconda Prompt Screen
Pretty much the first thing you see when you boot up with the install CD/DVD.
Specifications: FC5 one is 640x300, 16 colors.
Anaconda Installation Wizard
There is a 'splash' component to the wizard (shown in the screenshot) as well as a customizable banner.
Specifications: The FC5 anaconda installation wizard banner is 800x89 px. 16 colors.
Walks the user through additional configuration of their system post-installation. There is a splash (shown in screenshot below) as well as a banner along the left side.
(write-up by Andy Shellam)
The RHGB screens are simply PNG images in the /usr/share/rhgb folder, and can be replaced by custom ones.
- To create a custom "throbber" (the animation of a few circles spinning round), create a PNG image of 288x24 - then in that image you need 12 images of 24x24 placed side-by-side, so when viewed left to right - that's your animation. Replace the /usr/share/rhgb/throbber-anim.png image with your image, reboot and you're sorted!
- In Fedora, the /usr/share/rhgb/large-computer.png isn't used - there are 2 other images - one which is the fedora system logo (the bubbly f), the other is the word "fedora" in the bottom-right corner. Replace these with your own PNGs and bingo, you've got a nice customised system :)
More information at http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/
GNOME Splash Screen
Metacity (Window manager)
The main visual component of metacity themes is the titlebar of windows, but there are other things you can do with it too.
GTK (Gimp Tool Kit)
This refers to the basic look of windows... their color, the appearance of their widgets, etc.
The widget factory is a great program for testing the look of your themes. The Widget Factory link below also has a great screenshot of the program, displaying all of the different widgets that can be styled for GTK2.
GNOME Screensaver Lock Dialog