The volume control that lives in GNOME panel currently has a number of problems:
- It can be removed by the user
- It can be added multiple times
- It shows up whether or not there is actually an output device
- It can be moved anywhere on any of the GNOME panels
The volume control on Windows and OS X cannot be addeded multiple times, removed, moved. On Vista it only shows up when an output device is available. For example, when I plug my headphones or speakers in it shows up immediately.
Volume control should be converted to a notification area applet that should only be displayed if there is an output device connected.
* May require: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=409435 * Committed upstream: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/svn-commits-list/2008-November/msg00655.html