We provide email aliases on the fedoraproject.org domain to all contributors who have signed the CLA and are a member of at least one non-CLA group.
Getting Your Aliases
In order to get your email aliases, you must create an account in the Fedora Account System . You must also sign the Contributor License Agreement and make sure you are also approved in at least one non CLA group as well.
Once your account is ready, you will get aliases based upon the following template:
Your aliases will forward to whatever email address you have registered in the Account System. If ever you need to change the address your mail forwards to, that is the place to do it.
You will not be provided with any sort of POP, IMAP, or web-based email access. You will not be provided with any mail storage. These aliases are forwarding-only. In order to send mail 'from' these addresses, you must set the
From header on your email from your current email client. Many free web-based email services do not offer this ability, so you may need to establish an account elsewhere to gain this ability. The necessary configuration steps vary for each email client, so you are on your own to figure out how to do this.
These clients are known to allow explicit
From headers, which allows your email to appear as being 'from' your aliases.
|Clients in Fedora Package Collection|
|Free Web-Based Offerings|
To use Fedora Email Alias in Evolution, follow these steps:
- Add email account in Evolution. Use the same email address which was used to register with Fedora Account System.
- Evolution will enter Sending server and Receiving server details automatically.
- Sending Server and Receiving Server details can be added manually if Evolution doesn't do it automatically.
- After email account has been added, go to Edit --> Preferences. Select the newly added Email Account and click Edit.
- Under Required Information, just change Email Address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To set an E-Mail Alias in Thunderbird, first create an account for the email address that receives the redirected emails. Once done, go to Edit --> Account Settings (or Tools --> Account Settings), and select the account you just created. At the bottom right corner, click Manage Identities. Click on Add, and then fill in your name and your alias (i.e. email@example.com). Click OK, and you're all set!
If any of the above listings are inaccurate, or if you have additional information, please update this list!
If you need help or have questions about this process, contact the Account System team .