F11 User Guide - Financial Software
User Guide - Financial Software
Fedora offers software for the GNOME and KDE environments to manage your finances. GnuCash is the financial software recommended for users with the GNOME desktop environment, and KMyMoney is recommended financial software for the KDE environment. Although each financial software application is recommended for a specific desktop environment, remember both will work on any Fedora desktop environment. Both applications can be used for personal and business, and configured for online banking.
GnuCash and KMyMoney are not installed by default from the Live-CD or the DVD. If you do not have access to the Internet, you can install them with the Fedora DVD. To install read the chapter on managing software. You can install them by either using the PackageKit application or on the command line by using Yum.
- Launch GnuCash by clicking Applications > Office > Gnucash Finance Management.
- Click the [Close] button to close the Tip of the Day window.
- From the Welcome Window select which wizard you want to open and click the [OK] button.
- Select Create a new set of accounts select the [Forward] button on the Setup Account Hierarchy window.
- Choose your curency and click the [Forward] button.
- Select all of the boxes next to the accounts you want to create in the Categories window, then push the [Forward] button.
- Follow the directions in the Setup new accounts window, then click [Forward].
- Press the [Apply] button to finish your account setup.
- If you choose to import a Qif file, select the box then press the [Forward] button.
- Select your QIF file to load and click the [Forward] button.
- Now you have the option to load more QIF files for additional accounts. Select the[Forward] button.
- Pressing the [Forward] button guides you through Matching QIF accounts with GnuCash account, Matching QIF categories with GnuCash accounts, and currency selection.
- Click the [Apply] button to import your data, or the [Back] button to review your matchings.
- Open GnuCash by selecting Applications > Office > GnuCash on the top menu panel.
- The Accounts tab opens. The top menu bar allows you to manipulate your accounts. You can:
- Edit, Delete and Create new accounts.
- Set Preferences.
- Schedule Transactions.
- Do transfers.
- Reconcile an account.
- Enter Stock Splits.
- Add Customers, Vendors, and Employees for a business.
- Set Reminders.
- Generate reports.
- Setup Online Banking.
- Edit Prices of inventory.
- Access the General Ledger.
- Double click on an account to bring up a check book type register for that account. The top menu bar changes to allow manipulation of transactions. This menu includes the options above, plus you can:
- Change the view of the ledger from Basic Ledger to Auto-Split Ledger, Transaction Journal, or Double Entry.
- Cut, Copy, Paste, Duplicate, Delete, Void, and Enter transactions.
- Set Billing Terms for customers.
- Create Bills, Invoices, and Vouchers.
Setup Online Banking
Online banking setup begins from the Accounts window or the Register.
- On the top menu bar select Tools > Online Banking Setup.
- The Initial Online Banking Setup window lists what you need to complete the setup.
- Click the [Forward] button.
- Select the [Start AqBanking Wizard] in the Start Online Banking Wizard window.
- The Configuration window Intro provides a summary of what you can do.
- Type in the information required in the [Users], [Accounts], and [Backends] tabs on the top of the window.
- Select OFX-Direct Backend if you are not sure which one to use.
- You may need to call your bank to get their server URL. If you chose the OFX-Direct backend it is likely their URL is https://ofx.yourbank.com/.
- Return to the Start Online Banking Wizard and click the [Forward] button.
- Check the boxe(s) under the New? column to match the bank accounts with your GnuCash accounts.
- Press the [Forward] button.
- Now select the [Apply] button to finish.
- To download your bank transactions select the Accounts or Register tab then: Actions > Online Actions > Get Transactions or > Get Balance and fill in the information asked for to complete the operation.
- Open KMyMoney by selecting >Applications > Office > KMyMoney.
- Click the [Next] button on the Welcome to KMyMoney screen.
- Type in the information and press [Next].
- Select your currency and click [Next].
- Now type in the information for your bank account. Then select [Next] again.
- Choose your country and click on the [+] next to country.
- Select the type of account you want setup, then click [Next].
- Press the [Configure preferences now] button.
- You can keep the default path where KMyMoney will save your files, type in a path, or browse by clicking the small folder button on the right of the path window.
- Click the [Finish] button and your Home window opens.
- Open the account register by clicking on your account's link in Your Financial Summary window.
- Select the Show KMyMoney welcome page link at the bottom to:
- Set Up a New Data File.
- Use an Existing Data File.
- Visit the KMyMoney Website.
- See What's New in this Version.
- Selecting File from the top menu bar shows the options to:
- Create, Open, and Save files.
- Import QIF, GnuCash, and OFX files.
- Export QIF files.
- Backup your data.
- Edit your personal information.
- Choosing View will:
- Show Transaction Details.
- Hide reconciled transactions.
- Hide unused categories.
- Show all accounts.
- Clicking on Institution allows you to:
- Set up a New Institution.
- Edit an institution.
- Delete and institution.
- The Account drop-down menu lets you:
- Create a New account.
- Edit accounts.
- Delete accounts.
- Open the ledger.
- Close or Reopen an account.
- Map, Unmap, and Update an online account.
- In the Catagory menu you can:
- Create, Edit or delete a category.
- Open the ledger.
- Under Transaction are the options to:
- Create, Edit, Delete, and Mark transactions.
- Goto account and Goto payee.
- Match, Accept, Combine, or Select all transactions.
- Tools menu has:
- QIF Profile, Securities, Currencies, and Prices Editor.
- Update Stock and Currency Prices.
- Consistency and Performance Tests.
- Option to Debug Traces and Timers.
- From the Settings menu you can:
- Hide the Toolbar and Statusbar.
- Enable all messages.
- Change the KDE language settings.
- Configure Shortcuts, Toolbars, and KMyMoney.
- Help provides access to KMyMoney Handbook, Bug Report, and program information.
Setup Online Banking
- Click the [Institutions] icon on the left panel to make sure your bank information is linked to your new account.
- Highlight your account under the bank in the main window.
- On the top menu, choose Account > Map Account and the program will load a list of financial institutions in the Online Banking Account Setup window.
- Type the name of your bank in the Search bar, or scroll down the list to find it.
- Click on your bank's name to select it then press the [Next] button.
- Fill in your Username and Password.
- Choose an option for Indentify as (the format(s) you bank downloads too) and click the [Next] key.
- This window shows the accounts you have available at the bank. Click on the whichever one you want to link to your KMyMoney account and press [Next].
- Select the Finish button to complete the setup.
- Press the blue icon on the top menu to Update the Account, or select Account > Account update, also on the top menu bar.
- The program connects to your bank and the Account selection window asks you which KMyMoney account you want the information downloaded too. You also have the option here to Create a new account.
- Select your account and press [Ok].
- The Statement stats - KMyMoney window summarizes the information downloaded, click the [OK] button.
- Select the Ledger icon on the left menu panel to see the loaded information.
|Previous Page - Office Tools||Table of Contents||Next Page - Playing Multimedia (Music, Video)|