Re-base to GNOME 2.24.
- Desktop SIG
- Targeted release: Fedora 10
- Last updated: 2008-10-22
- Percentage of completion: 100%
- Gnome 2.23.92 is in the F10 beta, 2.24.1 will be in F10 final
- Project Hamster is available in Fedora as package hamster-applet
- Empathy is available in Fedora
- clutter and clutter-gtk are also packaged
- libcanberra is packaged and the GTK+ module gets loaded by all GTK+ apps
The main point of this feature is that GNOME in 2.24 has committed to adding several new modules. We will look at updating the Fedora Desktop image around the GNOME new module decisions. Empathy was evaluated but the desktop team felt given some missing features and bugs, it would be best to wait a cycle and reevaluate for Fedora 11. See Features/Empathy.
Benefit to Fedora
Stay in sync with upstream.
- Keep tarballs updated
- Resync image with new default apps
- Make sure new modules and new external dependencies of Gnome 2.24 are packaged (e.g. hamster and clutter)
- Investigate if we can drop some of the removed modules (gtksourceview and libgnomeprint). At least we should make sure they don't sneak onto a space-constrained live image
- Try various protocols: XMPP, MSN, etc.
- Try using Fedora Talk.
- Try Google Talk/XMPP.
Largely unchanged now.
Contingency plan was to fall back to Pidgin, which we've done.
- See the Gnome 2.24 release notes.
Fedora 10 includes the latest version of the Gnome desktop. Gnome 2.24 includes a new instant messaging application, Empathy, that replaces Pidgin as the default instant messenger in Fedora.
For more information about what is new in Gnome, see the Gnome 2.24 release notes.
Comments and Discussion