GSOC 2012/Student Application lsd/The Calendar for Fedora Insight
Insight Use Cases for Calendar
- Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone :
- Blog URL : devamanthrils.wordpress.com
- LinkedIn Profile : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lali-devamanthri/24/4a8/350
- Freenode IRC Nick : LSD
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I need to do something which will always impress me all the time by contributing to something meaningful while learning. Working with professional experts who are working with real world large codebases, and it will give me life time connections.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or with any another open Source project as a contributor (if possible please add some references as well)?
No, I couldn't. But I don’t think, it’s too late to engage in Fedora project now onward. Since I heard about Fedora Projects, I think this is a good starting point to continuously contribute for Fedora.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
No, this will be my 1st time. It’s pleasure to take part in Fedora project as 1st GSoC project.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2012 Program, if yes, which team(s)/area(s), you are interested with?
Yes, I will. I would like to contribute as an ambassador and web developer for build infrastructure that runs fedora. I wish to continue this project further after end of the GSOC 2012. I have another 1 year time to complete my degree course. I suppose this time period would give me a lot of freedom to contribute in Fedora projects.
Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
I have confidence, the Fedora project should choose me for the following reasons:
• My purpose is not to end the contribution for Fedora after this summer. I’m willing to be with Fedora, and this would be my 1st project done for Fedora. That would impress me and Fedora will get a dedicated contributor for life time.
• I can manage any difficulty to end this project as the most successful project in GSOC 2012.
• I’m capable to learn new language, technical stuffs in short time and use them effectively.
An overview of your proposal
Fedora Insight is a Drupal-based website that serves as a place to publish and share news, articles related to Fedora and Fedora marketing materials in various formats. This is used by developers, journalists and people who aren't yet a part of the Fedora contributor community. There are a lot of schedules, meetings are notified in Fedora Insight. Because of that, Fedora Insight should be centralizing schedules, events and meetings to keep track of them. Otherwise meetings, events or other notices might be missing for user.
Using a calendar, we can avoid those circumstances. That would be really helpful for managing the notifications for user. The Calendar of Event Mange for Fedora Insight’s objective is to fulfill those objectives in this summer.
The need you believe it fulfills
View a calendar on a web page and edit it from there.
Support individual calendars as well as shared event calendar.
RSS feeds, .ics files importing.
Filtering options to find specific events and schedules.
FAS authentication for IRC and Fedora team meeting facilities.
Eliminating problems with time zone conversion for one.
End of the project, the Fedora Insight user must feel comfortable in managing their schedules and notifications without any difficulties.
Any relevant experience you have
• Applications development with PHP and Mysql.
• Drupal customization.
• Drupal module programming.
• Servlet and Mysql based web project for a local mobile service company.
How do you intend to implement your proposal
• Develop OG, calendar module and relevant modules to create calendar and show only interest, schedules and group events. It allows filtering events further by location, specific time range.
• The calendar would be having similar characteristic as Google calendar. Such as, importing RSS, .ics file.
• Add Jquery UI components for get attractive UI.
• Events for the specific group will be post by group admin.
• Allow user to add events/reminders to the calendar which only view to user only
• Show relevant places for events on geographical map
• When Fedora schedule is updated, the module will merge those schedules in to the calendar.
• Arranged irc meetings would be marked on calendar on that day and time . The relevant group members will see notification.
• The chatting widget allow to user to connect irc with FAS logging. Qewbirc module would be useful.
• Connected other members will mark on geographical map.
• Past meeting minutes would be accessible with widget. Do not need to mail those for absent members.
Final deliverable of the proposal at the end of the period
A calendar with attractive UI and customizable notifies for Fedora insight user’s managements purposes.
Inbuilt irc meeting facilities to Fedora Insight with authentications from FAS.
A rough timeline for your progress
|5/21||Integrate calendar, OG modules and develop them +Develop filters||(2 weeks)|
|6/3||Develop filters and append to calendar.||(1 week)|
|6/10||Hack FAS and integrate it with calendar. Design UI.||(1 week)|
|6/17||Interconnect relevant services to calendar.||(1 week)|
|6/24||Test, debugs, modify UI||(1 week)|
|7/1||General coding and prepare for mid evolution||(1 week)|
|7/9||Develop qewbirc and necessary modules for integrate irc chat. Design UI.||(2 weeks)|
|7/22||Hack FAS and integrate in to chat widget.||(1 week)|
|7/29||Test, debugging and modify UI.||(1 week)|
|8/5||Develop geographical map and integrate them.||(2 weeks)|
|8/19||Final coding and prepare for final packages.||(1 week)|
Any other details you feel we should consider
When I noticed about “The Fedora Insight Calendar Project” I never knew about Fedora projects and Drupal. But I studied them quick and possible, while I had a exam and familiarize it before attend irc meetings. I avoid from taking University project that I must complete before this semester for attend in GSoC and successfully end the project.
Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
And also try to communicate with contributors who relevant to Insight Calendar Project.