GSOC 2013/Student Application Process
This year Student Application process is quite different from the last year GSOC program with Fedora. Therefore please follow the below instructions and make sure the application process is correctly followed.
- Create a FAS account
- Join with fedora-summer-coding mailing list
- Submit application on Google-Melange
- Application is filled and available on Fedora Wiki - How to fill the application
- CV highlighting your activities with Information Technology
- A recommendation from (highlighting your fitness)
- A member of a Free Software Organization you have contributed earlier OR
- A lecturer in your university
- A detailed plan with your planned activities in May to September (eg: Exams in university, internships, vacations..etc)
Please note - email your CV, Recommendation and Detailed plan to Org Admins, bckurera AT fedoraproject DOT org for any inquiry please use the above email address and feel free to CC your mentor if required (recommended).
Important - We understand that you need some time to contact a person and get a recommendation, therefore if it seems like getting delayed please send us the rest of the documents and email the recommendation later.
Bare mind - You are required to add your project proposal to wiki, therefore proceed with the application process as quickly as possible.
We do not accept any document after Google student application deadline, all entries make after the deadline is ignored unless you have not informed to Org Admins! However if you have any difficulty to meet this requirement please let us know in advance (before the deadline).
Once you have completed above steps and email those documents, Org admins will peer-review your application set and you will be contacted with more information. As a caution please do not wait till the last minute, complete the application process in advance. Further you need to respond to any communication from the Org Admins or mentors with in 24 hours in this period.
- What about details of my project?
You will be asked and given a link to update information about your project idea once you have completed the above mentioned process.
- Why recommendation is required?
This gives us an information about your reliability, we need you to complete the project with mentioned goals and with in the time period.
- I am a Fedora project contributor, do I need a recommendation?
Yes, since we maintain equal opportunity environment the process is common for all.
- What are the file formats that I can use?
You are encourage to use .pdf as much as possible, if not a Open Format can be used.
- What is meant by a "Recommendation", how should it looks like?
It is good to have a recommendation from a person who knows you well, recommending that you suites to this program. May be you worked with him for another project and he is delighted with your work, so we want to know it, that is simply a recommendation. If you have contributed to a Free Software Project then we would like to hear about that from some one from the project who see your great contribution. That can be considered as a recommendation.
- I dont get a reply from Org Admins after sending documents, is it normal?
You should get a reply with in 24 hours, if not please immediately contact Org Admin.
- What should be included in my CV?
It should be decided by you. Good to include each and every important thing that make you a suitable candidate and add values. if you want to know how to create an effective CV, please google.
- What is the need of a detailed plan of my activities?
It is important to get an idea about your free time and arrange things at the early stage. Therefore this is really important and try to make it accurate as much as possible.
- Why should I email the documents?
It is for your own privacy. If you would like to make the public please feel free to do so and send us the links instead.