GSOC 2014/Student Application rupo
- Your name: Rupesh Singh
- FAS Account: Rupo
- Fedora userpage: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rupo
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +91 8967628100
- Blog URL: Started a blog at http://rupojs.github.io/. That's where I'll be blogging my progress through the summer if approved
- Freenode IRC Nick: rupo on freenode. You can find me on #fedora-india or #waartaa
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I have always been a huge fan of FOSS. In fact, it was Linux that brought me to the wonderland of programming when I was much younger. Fedora is one of the best FOSS communities and countless people have contributed to make it great. I would love to work with the Fedora Project because I want to be more than just a user; I want to be a developer. Although I have not yet contributed much to the Fedora community, participating in GSoC 2014 and working with the Fedora Project will definitely be an amazing opportunity for me to get involved and better prepared for future projects.
Moreover, the Fedora project is very large and diverse. The experience that I will gain from contributing to Fedora is not something every organization can provide. I definitely have the interest and curiosity to become a part of the Fedora project.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or any other open source project as a contributor?
Though, I have not yet had past involvement with the Fedora Project but I have contributed to npm and I am trying to contribute to waartaa.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
I have not participated in past GSoC programs, but I have submitted my demo-project(online image editor) for infusion library.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2014 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
I would definitely be willing to continue contributing to the Fedora project on a more permanent basis in the future. I am graduating from college June of 2014 and will be more than excited to invest more time to support some part of a project as large as Fedora.
I have not really explored all the teams that come under Fedora, but I would like to contribute to the waartaa.
Also, I'm definitely open to being assigned to a particular project depending on the match between the need and my skills.
Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
In my opinion, the Fedora project should choose me for the following reasons:
- I am a college senior with a major in Computer Science and have a very strong foundation in basic CS fundamentals. I have good communication skills and a passion for learning new things.
- I always take up the initiative to try and solve any issues that may come up during projects. I am a team player tend to gel very well with my team-mates. Most of my academic projects have involved working in a team of 2 or 3.
- I pick up new languages/technologies really fast and know how to use documentations effectively. I need a very minimal ramp-up time before I can get started with a project.
- I effectively use the mailing-lists and irc communication channels to resolve any queries or issues I may have. I am also very comfortable using source repository and version control tools like git
If given a chance to work with the Fedora project, I would definitely ensure that I give enough time to the project and see it through to successful completion. I would be available the whole of the summer to work on the project.