QA:Testcase Virtualization URL Guest Install
Install a Fedora guest from an install tree URL using virt-install or virt-manager.
Nothing beyond initial test day setup.
How to test
Test OS detection on the URL
This will determine if the virt-install/virt-manager can detect an OS from the URL. Feel free to try this with as many different OS install trees that you want, and file a bug against virt-manager if the output doesn't match the expected results.
For F21 alpha, this looks like
sudo virt-install --test-media-detection https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/22_Beta_RC2/Workstation/x86_64/os/
- Run virt-manager (should autoconnect to qemu)
- Launch the 'New VM' wizard
- Choose the 'Network install' option
- Enter the following URL for the latest fedora development bits: https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/22_Beta_RC2/Workstation/x86_64/os/
- Press enter when the URL field is active: virt-manager should auto detect the URL as a recent fedora distro
- Proceed with through the wizard, using the default suggested values. On the final page, use the VM name: test-day-vm
- Start the install, and perform the install as you would on a normal machine.
An example virt-install invocation looks like
sudo virt-install --name test-day-vm --ram 2048 --disk size=10 \ --location https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/22_Beta_RC2/Workstation/x86_64/os/
Guest installations start and perform without any issues. Guest is bootable after install completes.