This testcase will check whether Tor can communicate with the Tor network and allow Firefox to proxy connections to the Tor SOCKS port.
- Ensure the
packages are installed.
/etc/tor/torrcconfiguration file should be the default one included with the package.
How to test
- In Firefox, browse to https://check.torproject.org/?lang=en-US
sudo systemctl start tor.service
- Configure Firefox to connect to SOCKS proxy:
- Open the proxy settings: Edit → Preferences → Advanced → Network → Settings
- Select Manual proxy configuration
- Select SOCKS v5 connection type
- Set SOCKS Host as:
- Set SOCKS Port as:
- Browse again to https://check.torproject.org/?lang=en-US
- The first visit to the check website should say: Sorry. You are not using Tor.
- After having started tor and configured Firefox, the second visit to the check website should say: Congratulations. Your browser is configured to use Tor.