gcc 4.3 Mass Rebuild
GCC4.3 is a feature for Fedora 9. It has been tested on the side quite a bit and introduced into dist-f9 buildroots on January 30th. The maintainer (jakub) has asked us to rebuild all packages against it for Fedora 9. For maximum testing and bugfixing, the rebuilds need to be accomplished prior to the Fedora 9 Beta Freeze, currently scheduled for March 4th, 2008.
- Identify packages needing to be built
- not noarch
- gcc < 4.3 used in buildroot
- Present list, continually updated, broken down by package maintainer
- Allow maintainers to rebuild on their own for a period of time
- At a certain point, script rebuilding the rest
- File bugs for build failures, attach to tracker
I'm still waiting to hear from Jakub as to when he would like some rebuilds to start, maintainer driven. In order to reasonably accomplish the scripted rebuilds by the Beta freeze, releng would need to start the scripted auto rebuilds by Feb 18th. However releng may not be able to start /earlier/ due to needing to make way for the perl-5.0.10 landing which will cause a lot of churn to be dealt with.
This task will touch on cvs and koji.
There are two real main active ingredients. One is the script to identify packages that need rebuilding. The other is the script to check out, bump spec, commit, and build the packages. These are actively being worked on, and will be described here as they emerge.
- Where to store the list of builds needed
- http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/need43 for now
- Allow some way of 'opting out' of a scripted rebuild
- mail email@example.com with builds to skip, releng will maintain a static blacklist
- What to do about non-responsive maintainers for failed builds
- Call to arms via FESCo
- When to start asking folks to rebuild on their own
- Ask now, automate Feb 18th