|IRC:||Levex on Freenode in|
|#fedora #fedora-hu #fedora-kernel #fedora-devel|
My name is Levente Kurusa, 18 years old and I am from Hungary. At the moment, I work for Red Hat in Brno, CZ as an Intern on the Virt team. I have been a Linux user for 5 years now, and this is what I prefer over anything else. Linux gives me the freedom to make the most powerful applications with the most powerful tools ever created. My software engineering career began with a very unfortunate event, I broke my leg. After having played with all my toys and getting bored, I sat down to my father's notebook. It had Windows 98 (pfft) on it and no games, so I began creating a text adventure one. I searched and read some books and then I finished it. The source code was unfortunately lost. Ever since I am obsessed with computer programming. Lately, I have began to develop the Linux kernel itself and this is where I have found my true self. It is amazing. I love it.
I also teach programming to my fellow classmates, and I love holding talks about Linux. :-)
Activities within Fedora
- L10n translator, hungarian team
- Hungarian Ambassador, supporting the Fedora booth at various local and international conferences
Activities outside Fedora
I am a kernel engineer for two years now. First I began with the development of my own UNIX-like kernel, LevOS. I have ported a C library from Red Hat to it, so it is pretty powerful. Unfortunately, my ext2 driver is very bad so it would need a full rewrite to be able to write files which is a step for the GCC port. After realising that such a project really has no benefit to the community I began the development of the Linux Kernel. This goes pretty fine. I am posting patches, reviewing patches and helping with the maintenance of various parts of the kernel.
- Print a QR code on kernel Oops.
- device_generic_release() function to save kernel size.
- a complete rewrite of the ata_piix driver for the ICH* SATA controllers.
- add put_device() calls after a failed device_register() as per GregKH's comments.
- provide better timing code for Marvell's SATA controllers.
- Spot the bug with why NCQ doesn't work on Marvell's chips.
Contributing to Marble, and KDevelop.
- Got invited to intern at Google.
- Unable to attend until not enrolled in a university. :-(
- Completed my first internship at a local company.
- Created an Android app which used the SOAP API to control the software.
- Ported newlib (Red Hat's embedded C library) to my hobby UNIX-like kernel.
- Interning at Red Hat on the Virtualization team.
Events so far
- FSF Free Software Conference in Szeged - November 29th 2013, Agóra Szeged - as a speaker: Linux Kernel - Introduction
- Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vQ4VWOKls
- English translation: https://speakerdeck.com/levex/linux-kernel-introduction-en
- DevConf 2014 in Brno, CZ - February 7-9th - as a speaker: Introduction to Linux Kernel Development
- Video (looks like they messed up a bit): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wjfOgE6Rs
- Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/levex/introduction-to-linux-kernel-development
- Fedora 20 Release Party in Budapest, HU - February 22th 2014, Balabit HQ - as an attendee
- Red Hat Open House 2014 in Brno, CZ - April 9th 2014, Red Hat HQ - attendee
- Linuxwochen 2014 Vienna in Vienna, AT - May 8th-10th 2014 - as booth support and a speaker: Linux Kernel - Let's contribute
- Flock 2014 in Prague, CZ - August 6th-9th - as a speaker: How is the Fedora kernel different?
- FSF Free Software Conference in Szeged, HU - November 20, 2014 - as a speaker and booth support + organizer of Fedora-side: Introduction to the world of Docker
- Slides available soon.
- Video ditto.
- Fedora 21 Release Party in Hungary - January, 2014 - as an organizer
- FOSDEM 2015 in Brussels, BE - January 31th - February 1st, 2015 - as an attendee
- DevConf'15 in Brno, CZ - February 6-8th, 2015 - as an attendee
- SCALE 13x in Los Angeles, CA - February 19-22th, 2015 - as a speaker
- More events in 2015 are coming soon.