- 1 The Fedora Account System
- 1.1 Using the Account System
- 1.2 Other Tools
- 1.3 Account System Internals
- 1.4 FAQ
- 1.4.1 Do I need an account in the Fedora Account System?
- 1.4.2 What is the Contributor License Agreement?
- 1.4.3 What is an SSH key, and why do I need one?
- 1.4.4 I have requested a group membership, and it shows as unapproved, what does this mean?
- 1.4.5 I encountered a strange error while using the Account System, what should I do?
- 1.4.6 How do I complete the CLA?
- 1.4.7 Where can I get more information about the account system?
- 1.5 Account Termination
The Fedora Account System
The Fedora Account System keeps track of Fedora Project contributors and the projects they work on. It is used to grant authentication and authorization to various components. This currently includes the various CVS repositories and Bugzilla .
Using the Account System
The initial accounts page has links to:
- Login to the FAS (Completing the NewAccount steps are necessary)
- Apply for a new account
- Joining Fedora
Account System Internals
- Exporting the email aliases happens hourly, on the hour on bastion.
- Exporting CVS and shell accounts happens hourly, shortly after :30 on various boxes.
- Exporting the Bugzilla fedora_contrib group from the 'fedorabugs' group happens hourly, on the hour on ElliotLee's personal workstation inside Red Hat.
Do I need an account in the Fedora Account System?
Many of the Fedora sub-projects require an account in the Fedora Account System for contributors. If you do not wish to contribute to the Fedora Project, you do not need an account. If you want CVS write access or wish to participate in a project that uses the Fedora Account System, you need to create an account.
In addition, the Fedora Project now licenses all content under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 Unported . Contributors to the Wiki (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki) and the Fedora Documentation Project need a Fedora account in order to sign the Contributor License Agreement (CLA).
What is the Contributor License Agreement?
This is an agreement that helps to maintain Fedora's free and open source status by making certain that all contributions to the Fedora Project are properly licensed. It provides assorted protections for contributors, the Fedora Project and Red Hat. For more information, refer to the Legal section.
What is an SSH key, and why do I need one?
SSH , short for Secure SHell, allows cryptographically authenticated and encrypted connections between computers. SSH is used to tunnel CVS connections for the Fedora Project. Anytime you use CVS with the Fedora Project, the transaction will be performed through an SSH connection. Your SSH key will identify you to the CVS servers, and host keys on the CVS servers will allow your computer to verify the remote server, too. An SSH key is only needed if you are planning on contributing source code or content, working on Fedora Project website pages or using fedorapeople.org.
I have requested a group membership, and it shows as unapproved, what does this mean?
New group memberships require approval from the group administrator or a group sponsor. Different groups handle this differently. See the appropriate project pages for the group for the specific process. Some projects, such as PackageMaintainers, will require you to have a dedicated sponsor or complete a certain procedure. Other groups may grant your request as soon as they get around to it.
I encountered a strange error while using the Account System, what should I do?
Send an email to the address at the bottom of this page, or file a ticket in the Account System Trac.
How do I complete the CLA?
Where can I get more information about the account system?
If you wish to deactivate your account for some reason, simply edit your account to remove all personal information, and mark the account as "Inactive."
Malicious usage may result in account termination. Individuals using multiple accounts without prior written approval will have all but one account terminated.
Users will be warned by email before any accounts are terminated