Anaconda MDRaid Support
Add MDRaid support to anaconda's storage code.
- Name: Hans De Goede
- email: jwrdegoede AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 2009-06-26
- Percentage of completion: 70%
MDRaid devices can be correctly configured and added from the advanced storage menu and then used to install onto. Raid 0, 1, 5, 6 and 10 support. Devices with Intel ISW metadata will be recognized as mdraid NOT dmraid after this change, which will cause them to have different names. (We can't help this; no way to determine from the metadata format)
Benefit to Fedora
Improved hardware support
The code is mostly written and is currently being tested, still todo:
- dracut support
How To Test
Testing will require MDRaid hardware.
We will have to verify the following areas of functionality:
- recognize Raid 0,1, 5, 6, 10 devices and install correctly
- on new partitions
- on existing partitions
- on new LVM logical volumes
- on preexisting LVM logical volumes
- creation of encrypted block devices at various levels in the device stack (partition, PV, LV, mdarray, &c)
- detection of arbitrarily complex device configurations (luks, mdraid, lvm, &c)
- management and configuration of existing encrypted block devices
- automatic partitioning of systems
- clearing of existing devices/partitions
- removal of existing devices
- reconfiguration of existing devices
- detection of existing upgradable installations with widely varied storage configurations
- rescue mounting of existing systems with a wide variety of storage configurations
This should improve the user's experience with regard to the storage configuration portion of system installation.
No impact unless you have this hardware but current users of Intel ISW hardware and dmraid will find their device names changed.
- FIXME: Will need to include in Installation Guide.
Fedora 12 includes support for installation onto MDRaid devices, which should be detected automatically.
Comments and Discussion
- See Talk:Features/AnacondaStorageRewriteor conversation without bogging down the main feature page -->