BIND 9 would be updated to the upcoming stable version BIND 9.16.
- Name: Petr Menšík
- Email: pemensik at redhat.com, dns-sig at fedoraproject dot org
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2021-01-29
- FESCo issue: #2559
- Tracker bug: #1922343
- Release notes tracker: #646
ISC BIND 9 stayed longer time on 9.11 Extended Support Version because dhcp and freeipa depended on it. DHCP package no longer requires bind-export-libs, which new BIND 9.16 does not support. FreeIPA part bind-dyndb-ldap were also modified to support new version.
BIND 9.16 includes more easy way to provide DNSSEC (KASP).
Benefit to Fedora
Stable version under most the active development is packaged again. Introduces DNSSEC Key and Signing Policy without external tools like opendnssec. Also client tools from bind-utils now support yaml export format (dig, mdig, delv).
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A
- Alignment with Objectives:
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- lightweight resolver (lwres) server and nss client plugin are no longer provided.
- named version with database backends support (bind-sdb) is also no longer provided as a subpackage. Instead several bind-dlz-* plugins are offered as runtime loadable plugins, which require modification to named configuration. They offer the same functionality with just bind package and selected plugin.
- dnssec-enabled option is not supported anymore, it is always set to yes. dnssec-validation can be still turned off.
How To Test
System administrators would receive the most recent stable version of BIND, with improved performance and features. Prerelease is available on COPR.
- named service supports dnssec-policy option, merging dnssec-keymgr into named.
- DNSSEC trust anchors were merged into trust-anchors section, replacing previous trusted-keys and managed-keys.
- dig +yaml provides machine parseable output in YAML format
- bind-dyndb-ldap (required by freeipa)
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? product