Update all llvm sub-projects in Fedora Linux to version 15.
- Name: Tom Stellard
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 37
- Last updated: 2022-07-01
- devel thread
- FESCo issue: #2806
- Tracker bug: #2100620
- Release notes tracker: #849
All llvm sub-projects in Fedora will be updated to version 15, and there will be a soname version change for the llvm libraries. Compatibility packages clang14 and llvm14 will be added to ensure that packages that currently depend on clang and llvm version 14 libraries will continue to work.
Benefit to Fedora
New features and bug fixes provided by the latest version of LLVM.
- Proposal owners:
- Review existing llvm and clang compatibility packages and orphan any packages that are no longer used.
- Build release candidates into @fedora-llvm-team/llvm15 COPR.
- Build final release (Sep 2022) into Rawhide and F37 branches.
- Other developers:
- Maintainers of packages that depend on clang-libs or llvm-libs will need to update their spec files to depend on the clang14 and llvm14 compatibility packages if they want to rebuild their package and it does not work with LLVM 15 yet. The key point here is that spec file changes are only needed if a package is going to be rebuilt after LLVM 15 is added to Fedora. The compatibility packages will ensure that already built packages continue to work.
- Release engineering: #10820
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
This change should not impact upgradeability.
How To Test
The CI tests for the llvm sub-packages in Fedora will be used to catch regressions that might be potentially introduced by the update to LLVM 15.
This change can be made without updating any other packages. However, as mention before, packages that need to use LLVM 14 will need to update their spec file on their first rebuild after this change.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?): If there are major problems with LLVM 15, the compatibility package provide a way for other packages to continue using LLVM 14.
- Contingency deadline: Final Freeze
- Blocks release? No
Release notes will be added for this change.
LLVM sub-projects in Fedora have been updated to version 15:
llvm clang lld lldb compiler-rt libomp llvm-test-suite libcxx libcxxabi python-lit flang mlir polly libclc llvm-unwind