Replace Comps Language Group With Langpacks
Language support groups in Comps file will get replaced by weak rich dependencies in the langpacks package. With this Change meta-packages like langpacks-ja will also install required fonts and input-methods for the given language.
- Name: Jens Petersen
- Email: petersen at fedoraproject dot org
- Name: Parag Nemade
- Email: pnemade at fedoraproject dot org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 30
- Last updated: 09-Jan-2019
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
We already have langpacks-* packages in Fedora since F24. Currently they are installing language packages for translations, dictionaries etc. but not fonts or input-methods. With this Change we will try to install fonts and input-methods as well. E.g. if you net-install Fedora in Japanese language then installation of any base package like libreoffice-core or man-pages are installing automatically libreoffice-langpack-ja or man-pages-ja but langpacks-ja is not installing any Japanese font or input-method. But now with using RPM tags or weak dependencies like Supplements, we can get font as well as input-method packages installed as well on the system. There is no need of language comps groups to exist, they will be replaced by langpacks.
This Change is originally submitted at https://pagure.io/i18n/issue/97
Benefit to Fedora
Users can install complete language support now using langpacks only. This will also help to remove the language support groups from the comps file.
- Proposal owners: Check all langpacks providing packages (like fonts, input-methods) add Supplements tag in their SPEC file and build them. We will track the progress of this Change in Langpacks Copr project.
- Other developers: To all other developers of packages who provides langpacks, they need to add the Supplements tag as given in this Langpacks guideline to each langpack subpackage.
- Release engineering: none
- Policies and guidelines: none
How To Test
Currently users can get complete language support installed only using "dnf group install <lang-support>" command. After this Change gets implemented end users can get language support installed using meta-packages "langpacks-<langcode>" only
No Other Change depend on this.
- Contingency mechanism: If this change is not completed by final development freeze then we need to target this for F31. We are just proposing to add additional information in langpacks packages that is Supplements tag. This should not affect individual langpacks packages installation by dnf.
- Contingency deadline: I don't think we will need anything to revert or apply any contingency plan here if this is not completed by beta freeze.
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? N/A
- Need to add about this in the Release notes