Community Architecture goals
These are our team goals for FY11 (March 2010 - February 2011).
As our goals change throughout the year, this page will be updated as warranted.
Open Source in Education
FIXME -- Fancy high-level goal statement.
FIXME -- POSSE
- We want to be on a pace to have a public-facing POSSE Alumni list containing at least 200 professors after 5 years of POSSEs.
- We want to measure the conversion rate -- how many POSSE graduates go on to organize and/or teach a POSSE in the future?
- We want to measure the attrition rate -- how many POSSE graduates are still teaching after N years, and how many are still teaching open source?
- We want to measure success by geo.
- At some point, we'd like to facilitate a POSSE Alumni Reunion, in service of other educational goals and in order to encourage further POSSE development. This is critical to the leveraged, yet managed, expansion of POSSE. Given the long time cycle of academia, planning for this may occur during FY11 for an event during FY12.
- Continue to work with Pam Chestek about TM possibilities.
FIXME -- Teaching Open Source
- Step up Red Hat's participation here, to speed up the heartbeat. I'm... puzzled by what this means, and am not sure if it is necessarily possible. Mel Chua 06:25, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
- Take stock of the endeavors that were proposed and started last year, and prune them, focusing only on the ones that have gained some community buy-in and provide value.
- Try to re-focus some of the conversation as a place where open-source engaged professors come to gain efficient visibility into what else is going on in the space.
- Look for potential osdc/edu contributors from clueful folks in TOS.
- TOS Ambassadors.
FIXME -- Curriculum
- Alpha is complete by end of FY11 Q1.
- Beta is complete by end of FY11 Q2.
- Textbook being used in at least 3 live courses when 2010 school year starts (FY11 Q3).
- RH007 opened, updated, localized, and being used.
FIXME -- Comms
- Articles should generally rate as among the best, by whatever metrics OSDC uses to judge the success of the different channels.
- By the end of FY11, Greg should only be producing 50% of the content.
- Build a writer/contributor portfolio that demonstrates osdc/edu is a center of thought leadership in the space.
FIXME -- University Portfolio
- Treat our university investments like a financial portfolio and track returns and prospects over time.
- Establish some guidelines for future investments. Formalize and expand the professor grants idea.
FIXME -- Fedora
- Maintain visibility in Fedora, and when we see places where tiny amounts of support from us can reinforce or encourage good ideas, provide those tiny amounts of support. This is a visibility/influence play only.
- Fedora Scholarship continues into its 4th year. Minimal time investment. Now that I've written up an SOP - which can be completed by the next year - might it be possible to pass administration to Campus Ambassadors, with CommArch oversight? Mel Chua 06:25, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
- Increase mentor and student presence in GSoC 2010 by 2x; use experience to evaluate with community further mentorship programs; CommArch team to consider moving this project to Education goals.
- Summer Coding --> EXPAND ME.
Create, be, and be known for being a center of excellence on the following topics on the use, motivations, and characteristics of:
- Open source community building best practices other than participation in code development as presently done by Red Hat engineering.
- Free distributions, their development communities, and their relationship to Red Hat's paid products and commercial value proposition.
Create a community health dashboard, reflecting the status of the communities that exists around key Red Hat initiatives.
- This project should be done in consultation with both RH and JBoss input. Highlight projects that have been identified as critical to Red Hat, and provide analysis of the health of the communities around those projects to aid in decision making.
- Data driven benchmarking: include metrics of participation, statistical analysis, and deltas over time.
- Work with (and contribute to) the EKG project and lookatgit project, which are upstream tools for analyzing mailing lists and git repositories of projects.
- Provide the team with a tool that can demonstrate the improvements in the communities in which we engage directly, as well as internal advocacy and exposure to the team's work.
Working with Fedora contributors, provide vision and high-level management to create and track the next generation of statistics for the Fedora community.
- Integrate this work into the aforementioned dashboard.
Continue development and promotion of The Open Source Way.
- FIXME -- What's the expansion roadmap?
- FIXME -- How do we incorporate video or audio, like a podcast on community best practices?
- FIXME -- Integration with RHU, as an excuse to refresh some old RHU content and make it CommArch owned?
Participate, and when possible, provide leadership and vision in key Red Hat projects, providing valuable services to our "internal customers". Be internal advocates of the Community Architecture vision. Ensure that projects are built to handle new contributors.
- FIXME -- Project Marketing for virtualization, cloud, management?
- FIXME -- Cloud and Fedora. Amazon and deltacloud.
- FIXME -- Spacewalk, as a "for instance" of two birds with one stone.
- Expand and institutionalize an "open sourcing process" for use across Red Hat.
FIXME -- Become a recognized expert on the impact that other Linux distributions have on Red Hat's business. Do we still want this as a goal?
Global Community Stewardship
Maintain the overall health status and growth of the Fedora Project, encouraging minimal Red Hat touch in community leadership, except in the communities of greatest importance to Red Hat. Provide leveraged development & marketing, and authentically spread the Fedora and Red Hat brands worldwide.
Steward the Premier Fedora Events, while encouraging community leadership, ownership, and accountability.
- Ensure that 4 FUDCons are held in various regions (NA, LATAM, EMEA, India/APAC).
- Ensure that at least 20 Fedora Activity Days are held around the world, with specific goals and deliverables.
Make Fedora Ambassadors as self-sufficient as posible.
- Work with the Fedora Ambassadors Steering Committee to manage a global events budget.
- Cultivate and support local leadership communities worldwide.
- Identify, encourage, develop, and engage with local community leaders.
As needed, triage Fedora communities. Fill leadership gaps, identify critical path, build up a community of leadership, and ultimately transition leadership to a community member.
- Fedora Marketing is community-led early in the Fedora 14 release cycle.
- Fedora Design and Fedora Artwork, which dovetails with and also provides value to Red Hat's User Experience team. Unclear on what the goal here is... assist the Design team specifically? Mel Chua 06:26, 8 April 2010 (UTC)
Individual goals that don't fall into a specific category, but are still important.
Assist and advise the Fedora Project Leader.
Maintain an active blog, with at least 50 substantive posts this year.
Maintain a strong level of participation in the Fedora community, since it is a focal lens for many projects that are important to Red Hat.