We spend most of our computer time reading and writing text. Studies show that even the smallest improvement in fonts or font rendering produces huge benefits. The competition has realised it a long time ago.
Possible areas for improvement in font handling:
- Modernize/complete the font selection/preview dialog. See:
- Modernize the font tab in the appearance capplet
- Font installation:
- Make font installation easy. Packages may not be the best approach to fonts (packaging means minimal legal audit of the font, addition of human-friendly description and necessary fontconfig rules, bundling of license text, fc-cache automation, etc Doing it all elsewhere means creating another font-specific packaging format.)
- If packages are the answer for now, at least make font installation automatic, see Features/AutomaticFontInstallation
- Fix OOo:
- Add baseline table support to pango (align scripts in a line of text) for non-latin scripts gnome346419
- Implement side bearing deltas in cairo and pango (see http://osdir.com/ml/fonts.freetype.user/2007-03/msg00057.html)
- Improve freetype rasterization link?
- Fix the other problems identified there